Anyone in Phoenix area have a set of Greeley Punches?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

markmalin

Anyone in Phoenix area have a set of Greeley Punches?

Post by markmalin »

Hey guys...before I go buy a set, does anyone in the Phoenix area have a set of chassis punches I could borrow? I need just a couple sizes. If you do and are close, please let me know :)

Thanks
Mark.
Chandler
"...there are flying v's and then there are the ones shaped like peanuts..." - my son at age 9

Malin Amplification - Boutique Amps
www.facebook.com/MalinAmplification
@MalinAmps
glasman

Re: Anyone in Phoenix area have a set of Greeley Punches?

Post by glasman »

I just noticed this request.

Live in San Tan Valley and work in Chandler, 202 and 101 area.
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
markmalin

Re: Anyone in Phoenix area have a set of Greeley Punches?

Post by markmalin »

glasman wrote:I just noticed this request.

Live in San Tan Valley and work in Chandler, 202 and 101 area.
Thanks! I should be good for now - I bought a 1" punch, but at some point may need to use some other sizes :)

Mark.
"...there are flying v's and then there are the ones shaped like peanuts..." - my son at age 9

@MalinAmps
Satchmoeddie-II

Punches

Post by Satchmoeddie-II »

I am over by the Stack. Like 2 miles north of the state fair grounds. I can pop out most round holes if you mark where you want them. I have 20 or 30 punches from 1/2" up to 4 1/2" and I mean 1/2" not 7/8" for conduit. I also have the big unibits for wowing out the holes in Mojo, Weber and other chassis with 3/4" holes, and you want to use the ceramic 7/8" sockets, or you need to wow out 1" holes to 1 1/8" for the octal sockets. I would rather you mark out a spot and I punch the hole, so if the tool breaks I can blame myself. The keyed 15/32 punch for toggle switches is $320 now. I just broke the cutter, and I have to buy the whole 4 piece set to replace it. It leaves that little keyed tit in the hole so the switch won't rotate in the hole. DB socket punches for computer plugs are $600-$2200 each. Large square punches are $2000 and up. Some of my older smaller punches do not have cross hair hash marks on the dies so it is better just to use the drill press, and a Unibit. By using the hash marks on the cups I can make the holes come out quite straight & very evenly spaced. The drill press has laser cross hairs on it. They are okay, but not perfect. I just redressed the Unibits and they are cutting nicely, if I center punch a starter mark.
markmalin

Re: Punches

Post by markmalin »

Holy cats!! I'm just south of the 202 in Chandler - if my next chassis comes with the holes slightly off, I may ping you. Thanks!

Do you fab chassis? I need to start getting these locally....
Satchmoeddie-II wrote:I am over by the Stack. Like 2 miles north of the state fair grounds. I can pop out most round holes if you mark where you want them. I have 20 or 30 punches from 1/2" up to 4 1/2" and I mean 1/2" not 7/8" for conduit. I also have the big unibits for wowing out the holes in Mojo, Weber and other chassis with 3/4" holes, and you want to use the ceramic 7/8" sockets, or you need to wow out 1" holes to 1 1/8" for the octal sockets. I would rather you mark out a spot and I punch the hole, so if the tool breaks I can blame myself. The keyed 15/32 punch for toggle switches is $320 now. I just broke the cutter, and I have to buy the whole 4 piece set to replace it. It leaves that little keyed tit in the hole so the switch won't rotate in the hole. DB socket punches for computer plugs are $600-$2200 each. Large square punches are $2000 and up. Some of my older smaller punches do not have cross hair hash marks on the dies so it is better just to use the drill press, and a Unibit. By using the hash marks on the cups I can make the holes come out quite straight & very evenly spaced. The drill press has laser cross hairs on it. They are okay, but not perfect. I just redressed the Unibits and they are cutting nicely, if I center punch a starter mark.

@MalinAmps
glasman

Post by glasman »

The guy that does my stuff is near Chandler. Not sure of your volume, but like to work with 100 piece minimums. He can do it all, powder coating, silkscreening, PEM insertion, Aluminum welding.

Just needs a DXF file.

Contact me if you are interested.

Gary
markmalin wrote:Holy cats!! I'm just south of the 202 in Chandler - if my next chassis comes with the holes slightly off, I may ping you. Thanks!

Satchmoeddie-II wrote:I am over by the Stack. Like 2 miles north of the state fair grounds. I can pop out most round holes if you mark where you want them. I have 20 or 30 punches from 1/2" up to 4 1/2" and I mean 1/2" not 7/8" for conduit. I also have the big unibits for wowing out the holes in Mojo, Weber and other chassis with 3/4" holes, and you want to use the ceramic 7/8" sockets, or you need to wow out 1" holes to 1 1/8" for the octal sockets. I would rather you mark out a spot and I punch the hole, so if the tool breaks I can blame myself. The keyed 15/32 punch for toggle switches is $320 now. I just broke the cutter, and I have to buy the whole 4 piece set to replace it. It leaves that little keyed tit in the hole so the switch won't rotate in the hole. DB socket punches for computer plugs are $600-$2200 each. Large square punches are $2000 and up. Some of my older smaller punches do not have cross hair hash marks on the dies so it is better just to use the drill press, and a Unibit. By using the hash marks on the cups I can make the holes come out quite straight & very evenly spaced. The drill press has laser cross hairs on it. They are okay, but not perfect. I just redressed the Unibits and they are cutting nicely, if I center punch a starter mark.
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
markmalin

Post by markmalin »

Thanks, Gary. My volumes aren't going to be in the 100's for a while yet...but that sounds like a good resource to keep in mind. Thanks!
Mark.
glasman wrote:The guy that does my stuff is near Chandler. Not sure of your volume, but like to work with 100 piece minimums. He can do it all, powder coating, silkscreening, PEM insertion, Aluminum welding.

Just needs a DXF file.

Contact me if you are interested.

Gary
markmalin wrote:Holy cats!! I'm just south of the 202 in Chandler - if my next chassis comes with the holes slightly off, I may ping you. Thanks!

@MalinAmps