FET Board - Veroboard Layout

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jam-mill

FET Board - Veroboard Layout

Post by jam-mill »

Hi All,

Getting ready to build a d-style amp from scratch and need an FET board.

So, having come to building an amp from building some stompboxes using veroboard, a layout was created.

Please note that while every effort has been made to ensure the layout is correct, it has not been verified yet.

Regards,
-jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
da Geezer

Re: FET Board - Veroboard Layout

Post by da Geezer »

Hey....VERY cool!

Being into Vero myself, this is tempting....I may try it in a box, run it into my Dumblized '74 Twin.

Are you building it to verify?
If not, I might be your guinea pig....do you have a link to the schematic you used? I like to have the schem for reference as I'm building and to trouble shoot if any problems arise...

Edit: i'm guessing this schematic will suffice... http://ampgarage.com/forum/files/124_schematic_182.pdf

Thx!

G
jam-mill

Post by jam-mill »

da Geezer wrote:Hey....VERY cool!
'G' - The kind words are appreciated. Thank-You!
da Geezer wrote: Being into Vero myself, this is tempting....I may try it in a box, run it into my Dumblized '74 Twin.
Please keep in mind that the signal will be inverted going into your amp. I suppose HAD considered this when he incorporated it.
da Geezer wrote: Are you building it to verify?
If not, I might be your guinea pig....do you have a link to the schematic you used? I like to have the schem for reference as I'm building and to trouble shoot if any problems arise...

Edit: i'm guessing this schematic will suffice... http://ampgarage.com/forum/files/124_schematic_182.pdf

Thx!

G
Yes, I intend to build it; however, parts accumulation is still in progress for the amp build. Also, having to work for a living kind of interferes with the amp building hobby. :wink: So, building the FET board may be out a couple of weeks.

The schematic in the link should be fine; although, it has no component designations. Also, the FET circuit in the link shows a 100uf/50V for the DC filter off of B+5.

The layout shows a 47uF/50V (6.3mm diameter, 11mm height, 2.5mm pin spacing). The pin spacing and diameter are important so that it fits in the location on the layout. Could probably tolerate a little bit larger diameter.

I'll let you know my progress. Would you keep me apprised of yours?

Regards,
-jack
da Geezer

Post by da Geezer »

The signal inversion is something I hope to put to my advantage....I have discrete channels on the Twin, with the clean channel (normal) having 3 gain stages (fender style), and the OD (vibrato) having 4 stages (dumble 102-ish).
So as it is, I can't run the channels parallel, but will try the FET in front of each channel to see which sounds best with it, AND try them parallel....should give me several more options.

I started drawing up a pedal version of your layout tonight (leaving off unnecessary components since I'll be running it off a DC power supply).
I'll post it when I'm done, and keep you updated on build progress.
jam-mill

Post by jam-mill »

'G',

I just found and ordered 3 NTE459 FETs; eventually building 2 amps and wanted 1 spare. Had to pay a whopping $6.60/ea and $9.90 shipping. :(

I could not find the 2N3823 FET and the only cross-reference information indicated that the NTE459 was a substitute.

Oh well, that seems like a lot of money for 3 FETs, but then some pay ridiculous amounts of money for NOS tubes...

Hope to get the order in to mouser tomorrow for resistors, etc. I've already got the needed 6PS caps and 2 chassis from RJ.

I'll build up the FET board as soon as the passives arrive.

-jack
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

2N4416A is a good substitute, currently manufactured by Vishay and Central Semiconductor and available for $4-$6 from the big part suppliers.
jam-mill

Post by jam-mill »

martin manning wrote:2N4416A is a good substitute, currently manufactured by Vishay and Central Semiconductor and available for $4-$6 from the big part suppliers.
Thanks Martin; will keep that one in mind.