HRM vs. non-HRM distortion levels

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

heisthl

HRM vs. non-HRM distortion levels

Post by heisthl »

I finally got around to building a HRM clone (http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2976)
and would like to know from those of you that have built or played through both HRM and non-HRM how the relative ditortion points compare. On all non-hrms I have done with the 100K trim set above 35% to 45% and the drive at 9 O'clock or 10 O'clock there is some distortion present and it is a good overdriven sound for a blues solo. The HRM seems to need 60% to 70% on the 25K trim and the drive at 1 O'clock or 2 O'clock to approach the same level of distortion - does this seem like the HRM is acting correctly? In both cases preamp is set to V12 T1 M2 B2 with mid boost and in the HRM case also PAB.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Normster

Re: HRM vs. non-HRM distortion levels

Post by Normster »

I have my OD input trim maxxed out. Also, the OD gain pot should be 250K linear taper.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Good point - my Drive Pot is an Audio Taper. I have always used linear drive pots but someone told me an Audio Taper was better on the HRM.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
dogears

Post by dogears »

Norm,

The gain pot is most definately not linear. Alpha 15% taper is a little slow and 1 or 2 pm is need. But, I'd look for a 20% taper pot, like PEC. That would be better.

OD trimmer is set to 24k-26k to ground from wiper based on aqctual measurements.
Normster wrote:I have my OD input trim maxxed out. Also, the OD gain pot should be 250K linear taper.