Steel String Singer #001/#002/#004 Layout/Schematics

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mhartman

Re: Steel String Singer #001/#002/#004 Layout/Schematics

Post by mhartman »

@ rccolgan -- really nice job on this project!! Having dissected and built several SSS's over the years, I can tell that you really went deep into this one and did a great job. Congrats.
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

mhartman wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:29 pm @ rccolgan -- really nice job on this project!! Having dissected and built several SSS's over the years, I can tell that you really went deep into this one and did a great job. Congrats.
Thanks, man. Lots of positivity which is really great for new guys like me. Your YouTube video was one of the reasons that motivated me to build this SSS. Your take on a SSS is super cool too!
-Ryan
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

I drew the SSS #002 schematic in LTSpice and I'm able to simulate it just fine :D I'm 95% sure the schematic is correct. I'm also 95% sure the simulation is on the right track but I do need help with:
  • Changing the output transformer from Deluxe Reverb OT to Twin Reverb OT.
I'm hosting the most current files on my GitHub https://github.com/colganr/LTSpiceCircuits under SSS #002.
Attaching a PDF of the schematic and ZIP of the most current LTSpice model of SSS #002.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or see any errors. Thank you in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The previously understood step filter schematic has a 100k between your C6 and L2.
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

martin manning wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:03 am The previously understood step filter schematic has a 100k between your C6 and L2.
Ah yes you are 100% correct. Adjusting.. (good thing my actual build has the 100k! Lol)
Ryan
bluesoverlord

Post by bluesoverlord »

I’m about to buy SSS #002 chassis from Ryan’s fabricator, but as he states on his excellent site, it’s a lot of cost savings buying 10 vs just 2. So, if I can get 8 people that want one, I will just go ahead and buy 10 and pass them on at cost plus shipping because the savings makes it worth my time.

The cost is $125 each. Packing and shipping will vary depending your location. I’d want to do only one or two bulk mailings (otherwise it becomes a lot more work and the cost/time savings become less, if you get my drift).

Let me know!
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

bluesoverlord wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:00 pm I’m about to buy SSS #002 chassis from Ryan’s fabricator, but as he states on his excellent site, it’s a lot of cost savings buying 10 vs just 2. So, if I can get 8 people that want one, I will just go ahead and buy 10 and pass them on at cost plus shipping because the savings makes it worth my time.

The cost is $125 each. Packing and shipping will vary depending your location. I’d want to do only one or two bulk mailings (otherwise it becomes a lot more work and the cost/time savings become less, if you get my drift).

Let me know!
I'm in. I was going to bend up my own on a buddy's brake right before Covid shut everything down. Thanks!

Sean
Sean Chaney
bluesoverlord

Post by bluesoverlord »

Ok 7 more and I’ll drop a dime....

BTW....maybe Ryan could chime in about whether it is worth it to get the sides welded in. (I seem to remember him having an issue with placement of one of the side walls when I watched his video).

The quote was without tack welding them. I could get a quote with welding too, but it’s so darn easy I’m going to do my own. I suppose I could tack all 10 to the plan’s dimensions, but I’ll want to go through Ryan’s documentation OR....get his input first. Of course, if anyone just wants them left free, that can be done too.

Steve
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

bluesoverlord wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 am Ok 7 more and I’ll drop a dime....

BTW....maybe Ryan could chime in about whether it is worth it to get the sides welded in. (I seem to remember him having an issue with placement of one of the side walls when I watched his video).

The quote was without tack welding them. I could get a quote with welding too, but it’s so darn easy I’m going to do my own. I suppose I could tack all 10 to the plan’s dimensions, but I’ll want to go through Ryan’s documentation OR....get his input first. Of course, if anyone just wants them left free, that can be done too.

Steve
Chris Nichols on one of the Dumble Facebook groups is also organizing a group buy for the P2P chassis that utilizes the Hoffman boards. It might be worth sync'ing with him if you're looking for the original design. I am working on a revised chassis design now that optimizes for Erwin's PCBs. The plan is to offer a combo purchase of a chassis + PCB once everything is confirmed. More details in a couple of weeks and I'll start a thread specific to it. Hope this helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan
bluesoverlord

Post by bluesoverlord »

Well, that’s even better. I think I’ll just wait for your PCB/revised chassis combo. I’ll certainly be good for 2 sets. (Even though I already populated the Hoffman boards with eyelets, darn it).

The Dumble chassis were PCB anyway, correct? So, that’s more historically accurate. Although I’m a fan of P2P, I’ve never done PCB and working with it is a step towards eventually designing my own.

Count me in if that’s ok.
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

bluesoverlord wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:16 am Well, that’s even better. I think I’ll just wait for your PCB/revised chassis combo. I’ll certainly be good for 2 sets. (Even though I already populated the Hoffman boards with eyelets, darn it).

The Dumble chassis were PCB anyway, correct? So, that’s more historically accurate. Although I’m a fan of P2P, I’ve never done PCB and working with it is a step towards eventually designing my own.

Totally fine to count you in. Don't throw away your Hoffman boards, I am going to accommodate them in the new chassis design as well.
Ryan
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

rccolgan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:31 pm
bluesoverlord wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:16 am Well, that’s even better. I think I’ll just wait for your PCB/revised chassis combo. I’ll certainly be good for 2 sets. (Even though I already populated the Hoffman boards with eyelets, darn it).

Totally fine to count you in. Don't throw away your Hoffman boards, I am going to accommodate them in the new chassis design as well.
@bluesoverlord here is the optimized chassis design that will work with both eyelet p2p (Hoffman) boards I designed as well as Erwin's boards. The yellow outline is the eyelet boards and the magenta is the PCB. Generating the 3D model shortly (and start a new thread since this is going off-topic a bit)
Ryan
bluesoverlord

Post by bluesoverlord »

Nice! I can’t wait. I’ve been wanting to do an SSS for the longest time..... I’ll have to keep busy with a 50W version of The Pig until then.
nwilderman

Post by nwilderman »

rccolgan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:03 pm
bluesoverlord wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 am Ok 7 more and I’ll drop a dime....

Steve
Chris Nichols on one of the Dumble Facebook groups is also organizing a group buy for the P2P chassis that utilizes the Hoffman boards. It might be worth sync'ing with him if you're looking for the original design. I am working on a revised chassis design now that optimizes for Erwin's PCBs. The plan is to offer a combo purchase of a chassis + PCB once everything is confirmed. More details in a couple of weeks and I'll start a thread specific to it. Hope this helps!
I was looking into purchasing a chassis for a build but I recently saw this post, I was wondering if there was any update to this plan of offering combo purchases of revised chassis and if its occurring in the Facebook group if it could be linked here please? I was also wondering do these revised chassis designs accommodate SSS 002 and SSS 004 style builds or only SSS 002 builds. Thanks in advance.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

nwilderman wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:40 am
rccolgan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:03 pm

Steve
I was looking into purchasing a chassis for a build but I recently saw this post, I was wondering if there was any update to this plan of offering combo purchases of revised chassis and if its occurring in the Facebook group if it could be linked here please? I was also wondering do these revised chassis designs accommodate SSS 002 and SSS 004 style builds or only SSS 002 builds. Thanks in advance.
Hi, I know Ryan is on top of this. We both are building this updated Chassis Pcb combination as a prototype to see if we encounter problems and the need for revisions on both chassis and pcb.
I ordered locally a batch of chassis, powdercoated/silkscreened. I expect them to be finished in 3-4 weeks. Ryan is building in a scrap chassis as we speak. You can check his YouTube channel The tone geek for updates..
Below a pic of my current build status.
As for #004. they are not interchangeable with the #002 pcb.

Erwin