100W HRM in the BluesMaster Style?

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

galtjunk

Almost done.

Post by galtjunk »

I have almost finished this build and the layout file to go along with it.
I used Funk's chassis and boards along with his transformers so there will be some differences. I also left out the relay for the mid switch. I may add it later

I started this project after seeing an almost complete layout. I am kind of glad now, that it wasn't complete. I learned a lot by having to follow the schematic and fill in the blanks. I don't have near the knowledge that quite a few of you have, and I would like to thank all who have contributed here.

I would especially like to thank mdroberts for the schematic and layout that got me started on this project. I would never have started on this amp without his contributions.

I fired it up without letting any smoke out but I got no sound at all. I found a bad jack in the pre-in and replaced that. Magic! Great clean sounds.

I hit the OD switch and... nothing. Dead silence.

It turned out to be a bad tube in v2.

It's dead quiet with a PRS. My strat is a little noisy, but that's in the guitar.
When I get everything dialed in, I'll get my 53' Tele out and try that.

While I was checking the layout against the schematic I noticed a problem on the HRM board.
I don't see a connection between pins 2 and 3 on the mid pot of the HRM board. It's there on the schematic (bm_dclone_100wv12_167.pdf), there just isn't a trace on the HRM board for it.
All of the HRM pots seem to produce tone changes.
Do I need to jumper 2&3 or am I just not seeing the connection?

My mid switch doesn't seem to have any effect.
Does it look ok?

I still have a few resistors that need to be replaced since I built the boards from an earlier schematic. I still have a 10k at B+5 so my voltage is a little low there. I will replace it with a 2.2k and see if that brings it up a little. I also have a 120K at r3 instead of a 150k because that was all I had and I wanted to finish it now.

What is the ideal starting point for the 10k trimmer on the PI?
-3v on the 91k side?

Would someone be willing to look over my layout for errors before I post it for the world to see?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Re: 100W HRM in the BluesMaster Style?

Post by Structo »

This is the way I wired my mid-boost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

You need to wire mid switch so it puts the 390p in series with the .002uF treble cap in "normal" mode and in "boost" mode it should short the 390p so the treble cap is going straight to the input leg of the treble pot. Take a look at the schematic again... :wink: .

HRM mid is probably OK with pin 2-3 not having a trace. The bass trimmer will just see a little more resistance to ground. No biggy. I actually do my HRMs this way.
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

Tonegeek wrote:You need to wire mid switch so it puts the 390p in series with the .002uF treble cap in "normal" mode and in "boost" mode it should short the 390p so the treble cap is going straight to the input leg of the treble pot. Take a look at the schematic again... :wink: .

HRM mid is probably OK with pin 2-3 not having a trace. The bass trimmer will just see a little more resistance to ground. No biggy. I actually do my HRMs this way.
I had a connection from the treble cap to the input on the treble pot but it was lost in the cut and paste. I see the mistake now that I look at it.
So connecting the treble cap to the right side common of the mid switch should do it. When the switch is up, the 390 is bypassed. When down. it is in series with the treble cap.

The HRM pots seem to work OK, I just wasn't sure if a jumper was necessary.

Thanks.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Correct, when those two caps are in series the total value is 326 pf.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!