Ultraphonix adventure

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bepone

Re: Ultraphonix adventure

Post by bepone »

Then, what you need more than Marshall drive and Fender cleans with better sustain and Dumble feeling and "timbre" in one amp?

This IS, or is close, to holy grail in amp building.. :wink:
bepone

Post by bepone »

I have some primitive clips on my phone but my phone is doing some heavy compression and software efects on the recording which makes rec. not realistic.. bass are blurred, mids are ok but compressed, and highs are sharp too much. So i will wait some moment for better rec. and post here how it is now. It is easy to modify the tone because you are doing it only to few resistors and caps in V1 circuit.

In the meantime, i started negotiations for 2 more Bassmans 100 SF :mrgreen:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

:lol:

When you get a good thing going it is very hard to stop!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

bepone wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:24 pm I have some primitive clips on my phone but my phone is doing some heavy compression and software efects on the recording which makes rec. not realistic.. bass are blurred, mids are ok but compressed, and highs are sharp too much. So i will wait some moment for better rec. and post here how it is now. It is easy to modify the tone because you are doing it only to few resistors and caps in V1 circuit.

Funny how a decent set of ears can still detect good (or great) tone even through the compression of YouTube and the lackluster microphone of today's phones. Which means when translated "Go ahead and post us a teaser recorded with your phone, please. :wink: "
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Mark

Post by Mark »

With this amp, I can’t but help think that the Fender stage channel would have more gain than the Marshall side of the amp. I remember trying out a preamp that was one side Marshall and the other side Fender. The Fender side was louder.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

The Marshall side is three stages plus CF with a gain and master, the Fender side being 2 stages plate drive though.

The Marshall side makes big gain. Listen to the Sebago I posted earlier in this thread. Honkin!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
bepone

Post by bepone »

dorrisant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:51 pm
bepone wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:24 pm I have some primitive clips on my phone but my phone is doing some heavy compression and software efects on the recording which makes rec. not realistic.. bass are blurred, mids are ok but compressed, and highs are sharp too much. So i will wait some moment for better rec. and post here how it is now. It is easy to modify the tone because you are doing it only to few resistors and caps in V1 circuit.

Funny how a decent set of ears can still detect good (or great) tone even through the compression of YouTube and the lackluster microphone of today's phones. Which means when translated "Go ahead and post us a teaser recorded with your phone, please. :wink: "
All the tone is there in mid tones, from 200Hz to 1khz thats why also laptop and mob can reproduce good guitar tones in that frequency spectrum.. Compression doesnt affect amount of sustain and distortion which you can detect on the worst speakers also if is recorded with potato :P
Last edited by bepone on Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bepone

Post by bepone »

Mark wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:11 am With this amp, I can’t but help think that the Fender stage channel would have more gain than the Marshall side of the amp. I remember trying out a preamp that was one side Marshall and the other side Fender. The Fender side was louder.
There are 4 preamp tubes, you can do anything with them, so "marshall" channel using 3/4, "fender" 2/4..
Fender has also tone stack between the stages whic is reducing gain 10 times, so fender stage is only for clean, or some crunch when pushed with output stage.
Marshall channel doesnt have tone stack between stages and gain is multiplying. tone stack is on the end , where will reduce gain 10 times.

With one ECC83 tube you can set gain (lets say 50 per stage , but can be more, 60, 65) 50*50=2500 times, with 1 and an half - 50*50*50=125000 times, with 2 - 50*50*50*50= 6 250 000 times.
Guitar amp signal is 100mV . Output 6L6's or EL34's are accepting 80Vpp, so you need gain /without applying feedback/ of 800 times, all he rest is making distortion / or art of overdrive. So there is plenty of gain in 3 stages like marshall, only if the gain is disabled inside amp by means of resistor dividers between the stages, there will be no hi-gain from 3 preamp tubes.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I have a delusional friend who calls me once a week to tell me how great some new acoustic guitar he read about and watched 30 youtube videos that prove an LG2 has the same response as a prewar OM-28.

Yeah. In your dreams on your phone..
Mark

Post by Mark »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:42 pm I have a delusional friend who calls me once a week to tell me how great some new acoustic guitar he read about and watched 30 youtube videos that prove an LG2 has the same response as a prewar OM-28.

Yeah. In your dreams on your phone..
I’ve never played a prewar OM-28 so I wouldn’t be any the wiser. I only know they have Brazilian rosewood back and sides with a Adirondack top. How old is the LG2?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

New. Never has any LG had nearly the response of a 20s/30s orchestra model Martin.
stephenl

Post by stephenl »

bepone wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:01 pm here is the schematic,
missing first gain 1MA
V1 gain stage, 180k/2k7, second half 130k/1k8
V2 CF: 150k/1k8, cathode follower 82k cathode (intended compression, not like "normal" 100k/100k)

sema.jpg
Is the hand drawn schematic pretty much what you ended up with? I have a donor amp I may try this on.
Steve
bepone

Post by bepone »

stephenl wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:18 pm

Is the hand drawn schematic pretty much what you ended up with? I have a donor amp I may try this on.
yes it is like this, but also you can plan to tweak 22nF to 47nF between V1a to V1b like seen on other schematics (i never tested) and V1b cathode cap (from 2u2 to 10uF) according to personal taste and guitar used
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Bepone, any clips yet? I wanna hear it.

Miles, did you get parts yet?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
bepone

Post by bepone »

At the moment i'm working abroad several weekes more and have only primitive phone rec. with me , made without intention for recording..

But here is , something you can hear (maybe :P ), no pedals all amp. Spekaer is 1*12" Celestion G12-65,

strat neck single, light crunch:
srv1.wav
strat bridge , humbucker:
ac dc.wav
neck again, but higher gain (gain pot somewhere at 3.pm):
neck uf.wav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.