Ultraphonix adventure

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bepone

Ultraphonix adventure

Post by bepone »

On the local offerings i found one modded bassman SF for not so much, several hundreds. Immediately i bought it over the phone without too much thinking about condition inside. Price for the amp is now in thousands. It was just important that it original output transformer inside.
10 yrs ago nobody wanted bassman, it was almost for free. How the situation is changing..
Reeltarded

Re: Ultraphonix adventure

Post by Reeltarded »

I sold a load of combos and several heads in the last ten years. The truth isn't pretty. Very few people are buying but the prices are being listed higher and higher.

There are still $1000-1500 BF Bassman heads around here. People are wrecking the market with prices only the novice would even inquire about.

Let's hear that mod!! lol

Mine is going to be tubes up in a JTM45 reissue.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
bepone

Post by bepone »

Provided schematic are not so good guide, moreover it is just needed to put mental set in that Marshall sound base (or boosted JTM45)..
I have found some good infos looking at the pics here, what is possible to detect, other by assumption.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20544

So if we go from the output we can see JTM45 with 6L6's. Or bassman 5F6A. I made many, and it is by default creamy sound, nice cleans Fender, and creamy overdrive when pushed. Phase inverter is classic, no surprises there. Sound is in the first 2 tubes V1 and V2.
bepone

Post by bepone »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:46 am I sold a load of combos and several heads in the last ten years. The truth isn't pretty. Very few people are buying but the prices are being listed higher and higher.

There are still $1000-1500 BF Bassman heads around here. People are wrecking the market with prices only the novice would even inquire about.

Let's hear that mod!! lol

Mine is going to be tubes up in a JTM45 reissue.
in Europe BF is around 2-2.5k , 10 yrs ago it was for 300-400 max :wink: nobody wanted , because is "only" bassman. But this "only" bassman is actually great for us :lol:
But is little bit too much to invest 1.5k to take cab, chassis and tranformers, sadly..
bepone

Post by bepone »

So i bought this.. this is some kind of "blackface" bild on SF chassis. sort of :lol:
outside was looking ok, except for this fake plate
12 (Large).jpg
By looking at, guess of job reconstruction, i can see that chassis was cleaned totally, transformers, capacitor covers, polished ! This is a moment for alarm, who wants to polish all this things. You can just reduce value, not add. Inside mix of all kind of components on old eyelett board, new wires but burned everywhere by soldering iron ( :x ). Good skills by sevice tech. Grounded coax, soldered to chassis (!!) for PI input wire! For which reason, there is allready hi level of signal! Burned completelly heater wires. To the exposed copper. Genious again. Why he remove cloth heater wire which is kind of soldering iron resistant and put new ones PVC, and burned them throughly? :lol:

On bias circuit also one russian MF resistor find its place. 2 print "buck" transformers to raise 320VAC secondary to 344. Power transformer i see that was wound, by clumsy lamination assembly and strange wire colors from it.
OPT looks ok. Choke is some very ugly , looks like DIY, and will be replaced, with green wires! Green! Green cannot pass here.
Cab is great if i can say so. Job done is far from good, it is assembled without taking care of anything. But i like this projects, to reconstruct from the 0, i have all mechanical jobs finished, so 2-3 days of pleasure work for new electronics.

inside:
13 (Large).jpg
15 (Large).jpg
16 (Large).jpg
18 (Large).jpg
10 (Large).jpg
21 (Large).jpg
19.jpeg
17.jpeg
20 (Large).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Post by bepone »

By double holes on everything i can conclude also chassis is "borowed" from some other amp, maybe bandmaster.. At least he put Bassman OT correct. This is important part. Lets go on. Everything dismantled. Boards are very dirty from resin, and needs to be cleaned..
22 (Large).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Post by bepone »

removed parts
23 (Large).jpg
bepone

Post by bepone »

i will reuse Atom cathode elkos from this pile ..

Went to home store and bought some heavy chemicals to start with boards, petrol and acetone for cleaning
29.jpeg
bepone

Post by bepone »

after several turns, petrol, scratching, acetone, scratching on repeat, i get some ok results.
stage between, grease destroyed, but still there, ready for another round:
28 (Large).jpg
bepone

Post by bepone »

board ready :
29 (Large).jpg
bepone

Post by bepone »

botom isolating board , passed through the same process..but here were dicovered some other things..
board before cleaning, full of resin:
37 (Large).jpg
but after the cleaning, holes discovered, looks like board wasnt isolating the rest of the circuit from chassis, looks like this one was passing current :mrgreen:
38 (Medium).jpg
40 (Medium).jpg
holes cleaned with grinder and filled with wife's nail laquer
194 (Medium).jpeg
bepone

Post by bepone »

I didnt like that the boards from pressed paper were prone to so much humidity and possible short circuits risk so i decided to varnish all with plastic spray.

The rectifier board passed the same process. Assembly started with HER 208 fast diodes.
199 (Medium).jpeg
36 (Medium).jpg
bepone

Post by bepone »

assembly started, chosen German resistors, metal film MK3 Roe, carbon film Draloric LCA.. caps 6PS's , around PI 715's.
Carbon comps on PI, i saw that HAD have more CC on PI but i thought the sound will be too dark. So Dralorics LCA.
193 (Medium).jpg
bepone

Post by bepone »

next boards varnished for protection with Plastic spray:
bepone

Post by bepone »

arrived the time to fix that wiring.. i have some stash of solid core cloth wire, perfect for old Fenders..taken signals for tone stack on gain and clean channel, also NFB and output grid wires
192.jpg
41 (Medium).jpg
50 (Large).jpg