Layouts

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Normster

Re: Layouts

Post by Normster »

Bob, I just noticed that you're using a voltage doubler off of the filament taps. I tried something similar and discovered (with Glasman's help) that you cannot use a voltage double with a center tapped tranny. It draws way too much current because it's sending one cycle directly to ground.
BobW

Post by BobW »

Normster, thanks for your concerns. The initial wiring didn't work at first because I mistakenly grounded the doubler. Although it's not clearly shown, the layout shows the channel switching jack, and the coil are chassis isolated. The doubler ground reference is K1-1. K1-2 is also isolated, since the coil does not need to be referenced to chassis ground. As a note, this ckt doesn't really double the voltage with the values I'm using (wanted to keep it small),but provides about 10.5 vdc, which is, from the datasheet, about a volt over the max pickup voltage. It been switching fine w/o any noise or excessive current draw since mid Feb.

How do you like your Reverb ckt? I've got a reissue fender reverb, but prefer an all in one amp. Is it worth the additional circuitry? I have a long tank not being used.

thanks for the feedback. Cheers Bob
BobW

Post by BobW »

Do you intend for the snubbing network on V2b (OD2) to be connected to the grid? My assumption is that it should be connected to the plate. Just wondering...
Stevlech, It's wired to the Plate but drawn in error to the Grid. thanks for catching the error.
Normster

Post by Normster »

How do you like your Reverb ckt? I've got a reissue fender reverb, but prefer an all in one amp. Is it worth the additional circuitry? I have a long tank not being used.
To be honest, I like digital reverb better than spring reverb. :oops:
The reverb works pretty well in my Bassman. It's not exactly "lush" but it's enough to set the guitar in the mix for bedroom playing to backing tracks. I used a 9.5" medium-delay tank (8AB2A1B) so that may have some impact on the reverb quality as well.
I use a Digitech "Digiverb" pedal in the loop of my ODS clone. It DOES change the tone a little, but in a way that I like a lot. With the level set at 9 o'clock on "hall" it seems to sweeten the top end. In fact, I'm convinced that part of the Ford tone is the TC Electronics rack effect that he uses.
BobW

Post by BobW »

thanks Normster, have been kicking around the idea of a delay/reverb pedal. Good food for thought. 8)
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

Bob Norm, FWIW I am using the Accutronics 4AB3C1B (from AES) with the 1 tube reverb and it sounds great!
BobW

Post by BobW »

thanks Keith
seulb-rd

Post by seulb-rd »

Normster wrote: ...In fact, I'm convinced that part of the Ford tone is the TC Electronics rack effect that he uses.
i concur. since i got my d-type up and running i've tried it with both a 6g15 clone and a zoom 506 pedal set to reverb thru the effects loop. both units do add something to the sound. i like both. the 6g15 sound is more 'natural'. but i think the digital reverb gets closer to the rf sound. i can see myself using both depending on the situation. i doubt i would take the 6g15 to a gig when a decent pedal would do. on the other hand i would it use for recording and i prefer it for practicing.
ciao...dr. blues