Pics of my HRM Funk Build

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aharon

Re: Pics of my HRM Funk Build

Post by Aharon »

Ok I just looked at the datasheet for the relays and (that's what I should've done in the first place)it says the coil is rated from 3V to 48V (if I read correctly)so I don't have to worry about blowing them by not using a regulator.
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

Aharon wrote:Ok I just looked at the datasheet for the relays and (that's what I should've done in the first place)it says the coil is rated from 3V to 48V (if I read correctly)so I don't have to worry about blowing them by not using a regulator.
Thanks
Aharon
Read it again my friend! My Omron spec sheet says the coil max (ultra sensitve type) is 150% of rated voltage, which would make the 5V one 7.5V max. 48V... Yikes! :D
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
tele_player

Post by tele_player »

odourboy wrote:
Aharon wrote:Ok I just looked at the datasheet for the relays and (that's what I should've done in the first place)it says the coil is rated from 3V to 48V (if I read correctly)so I don't have to worry about blowing them by not using a regulator.
Thanks
Aharon
Read it again my friend! My Omron spec sheet says the coil max (ultra sensitve type) is 150% of rated voltage, which would make the 5V one 7.5V max. 48V... Yikes! :D
Correct. He may be misinterpreting the UL stuff in the datasheet.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Nice build!!!
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Aharon

Post by Aharon »

I stand corrected .......thanks.
I'm working off these plans (scroll to the OD/PAB 2 relay schem)
http://www.brownnote.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479

maybe somebody can explain how the power will stay at 7.5V or less,basically I'm at a loss for the value of R in the schem,I went through hell to get these relays from Allied and I don't want to blow them.
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon
tele_player

Post by tele_player »

Aharon wrote:I stand corrected .......thanks.

maybe somebody can explain how the power will stay at 7.5V or less,basically I'm at a loss for the value of R in the schem,I went through hell to get these relays from Allied and I don't want to blow them.
Thanks
Aharon
Well, there's a way to keep the voltage down. If you figure that each relay draws 30ma, you can calculate a value for R which drops the voltage.

Unfortunately, the voltage will vary according to how many relays are activated, which is why it should be regulated. The 100uF caps are also too small, which causes a problem if you simply try to tack a regulator onto it.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

tele_player wrote:

Thanks
Aharon
Well, there's a way to keep the voltage down. If you figure that each relay draws 30ma, you can calculate a value for R which drops the voltage.

Unfortunately, the voltage will vary according to how many relays are activated, which is why it should be regulated. The 100uF caps are also too small, which causes a problem if you simply try to tack a regulator onto it.
Brute force regulation is perfectly acceptable for relay coils. They are not going to let the smoke out with a volt above or below.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Aharon

Post by Aharon »

Thanks guys for helping me.
I just rigged a mess o' wires with some alligator clips and tested it with a 9V battery and the foot pedal I just finished.....the result using a 56R was a drop of about 6V......
Should be ok.........
Aharon
Aharon
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Nice build!!!
Thanks Brandon! A nice build starts with a nice chassis and board set. Trying to make you proud! :)
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
tele_player

Post by tele_player »

skyboltone wrote:
tele_player wrote:

Thanks
Aharon

Brute force regulation is perfectly acceptable for relay coils. They are not going to let the smoke out with a volt above or below.
That's not brute force regulation, it's non-engineering. It can be done correctly, just as simply and cheaply, and it will work better under varying load and line voltage variations, and keep the voltages in spec for the relays. In engineering, that would be called a win-win.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Jeepers. I wonder what they done before they had solid state regulators for such things?
Last edited by skyboltone on Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
tele_player

Post by tele_player »

Better pull all those sand diodes out of there, too - right?
Ed de Jager

Post by Ed de Jager »

Guys,please!
Aharon

Post by Aharon »

I think I'm going with the regulator PS........I was trying to save a little PCB I made but I'm being retarded when I have all the rest of the amp built I'm not going to cheap out at the last minute.

I'll just perf the new PS and be done with it.
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon
Structo

Post by Structo »

I see on the Brown Note Relay Layout that they used quenching/ suppression diodes across the coils of the relays probably to absorb the kickback voltage.
But on the schematics they are not shown.
Do you guys use the diodes?
If so, what part number?

Also I'm a bit confused by the notation on the schematics.
What is CCW and CW?
Is CW, center wiper?
If so what is CCW?
But some of them are labeled middle.

Also, while I can read a schematic, anybody have a layout of the PS and relay board that I could simply copy rather than try to figure out one for myself?
Thanks