OD Reverb #13 (1976)

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dogears

Re: OD Reverb #13 (1976)

Post by dogears »

I have a friend who had 6 Dumbles, incuding a 70s ODR like this one. He says that the ODR sounded no where near as good as later amps. #146, an 80s model with a skyliner stack but no post OD eq, was easily the best. Point is that unless you are bored or already have built the other Dumble circuits, building the ODR is a waste of time. It is complex and just doesn't have the grail tone. IMHO
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

Yeah, don't build this one as drawn.

It's interesting to see the evolution of the design.

Also interesting to see how Dumble does the grounding, especially with the shielded cable and in the reverb section. No hum.

Allegedly, it's also very close to the reverb section of the SSS/Dumbleland "silver alligator" amp. Gets very close to the SRV tone with that tonestack and CF drivers for the output tubes.
dogears

Post by dogears »

Hey Ben,

My bud, Bob Stirner, is now a member here. Maybe we can get him to post his impressions of all 6.... ;)
oldmacman wrote:Yeah, don't build this one as drawn.

It's interesting to see the evolution of the design.

Also interesting to see how Dumble does the grounding, especially with the shielded cable and in the reverb section. No hum.

Allegedly, it's also very close to the reverb section of the SSS/Dumbleland "silver alligator" amp. Gets very close to the SRV tone with that tonestack and CF drivers for the output tubes.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Need more layouts for those of us that are schematically challenged:) (can do them.. just makes my head hurt:()
FUCHSAUDIO

True Scott

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

According to a few people, the ODSR that Carlos has rented for many years, from a friend of Gil Ayans (a guy in LA) there's only one ODSR that sounds as good as it's non reverb counterpart, and according to Gil, "the entire board is glopped". Rumour is, Santana's ODSR is a claimed to be a perfect clone of that amp. Apparently, not many were made. Maybe Bob can add a few points about this beast.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

FWIW it's # 0057. And his Orange suede amp was (I believe) the one that was for sale a while back on Overlandexpress.com, in which case it has a Built-in Dumbleator, and the "Bluesmaster" Mod. The pics of it on his site definitely depict rear pannel controls for the built-in Dumbleator.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
BluzMike

Post by BluzMike »

#0057 is a quite interesting tarnsitional OD-100WR head.

It has a presence control with a small pot and knob where you usually find the accent switch in silverface Dumbles. Overland sold Rick Vito's OD-100WR head, which had the same feature.

It also sports a master for the overdrive as well as a reverb pot on the far right of the backpanel, so maybe the send and return controls on the frontpanel now work for the Dumbleator. There seem to be 6 preamp-tubes, so besides the standard three we have two for reverb and one for the Dumbleator.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

anyone seen inside of a odr and an odsr? whats the difference? is it the reverb circuit or something else?
FUCHSAUDIO

a bunch of stuff

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

dr. who wrote:anyone seen inside of a odr and an odsr? whats the difference? is it the reverb circuit or something else?
It's an ODS, but has a reverb driver, a reverb return amp, and a reverb/dry mix amp circuit as well. The preamp and power amp are pretty much the normal fare.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

so does that mean a d'lator and verb mix?
FUCHSAUDIO

Ummm

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Not sure, but I don't recall that amp having a loop. I have the old hand drawn diagram someplace. I'll try to track it down and have a look.
Runaway J

Post by Runaway J »

Interisting topic, thanks for starting this.
If the reverb circuit is implemented as shown on the old schematic (tapped after EQ and mixed before PI) a d'lator would run in parallel.
Would'nt this cause problems due to the inverted signal?
Btw: Carlos' second black ODR has 11 pots on the front pannel (see pic) and therefore some of the switches missing. I guess 3 of them are for reverb, so maybe he has separate
return pots for clean and OD (or a tone pot for reverb?).
More info out there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FUCHSAUDIO

Thus the quandry that is Dumble...

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Therea re various versions of the SSS which had different features, power levels, tube types, etc. I think they may have all been pretty-much custom, rather than a specific standard platform, like the ODS's seem to be. I know there were units with pentode preamps, 7247 tube overdrive stages, some had frequency switches, others not.

I suspect there are enough variations to make it tough to exactly clone "a" SSS, rather you might potentially clone one of the many variants.
glasman

Post by glasman »

Runaway J wrote:Interisting topic, thanks for starting this.
If the reverb circuit is implemented as shown on the old schematic (tapped after EQ and mixed before PI) a d'lator would run in parallel.
Btw: Carlos' second black ODR has 11 pots on the front pannel (see pic) and therefore some of the switches missing. I guess 3 of them are for reverb, so maybe he has separate
More info out there?

It would a simple fix to flip the wires on the reverb transformer to correct the phase problems.

Also, that particular ODR in the picture of Carlos has separate Return levels for the reverb. One of OD and one for Clean (this I know as fact). It is also a Skyliner with HRM. Carlos just purchased it from its previous owner (it had been on load to Carlos for many years).
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
jelle

Post by jelle »

glasman wrote:
Runaway J wrote:Interisting topic, thanks for starting this.
More info out there?

It would a simple fix to flip the wires on the reverb transformer to correct the phase problems.

Also, that particular ODR in the picture of Carlos has separate Return levels for the reverb. One of OD and one for Clean (this I know as fact). It is also a Skyliner with HRM. Carlos just purchased it from its previous owner (it had been on load to Carlos for many years).
Since the OD is parallel to the Reverb these two reverb return knobs (one per channel) are needed. I was surprised to find out that the reverb relatively disappeared when the OD level went up.

I prefer other Reverb implementations....

Jelle