D-lator Tutorial step by step as I do it.

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: D-lator Tutorial step by step as I do it.

Post by Structo »

Structo wrote:
It appears that the 220K/250pf is taken out of circuit when there is a cable plugged in to the Return jack.
I said that earlier. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Structo wrote:No I don't believe so.
The way somebody told me how it works is:
that resistor and cap helps with the loading on the PI.
The cap across the resistor is mainly used to keep the low end focused after the signal is amplified in the loop.
It also lowers the impedance helping with the loading on the PI.
It works great w/.022 PI input cap

I haven't personally tried it yet, but if it does those things then I think it is a worth while addition.

I just brought it up because I haven't seen too many mention it and the fact that the layout is wrong compared to the photo of #124.
llemtt wrote:The way it's wired put the cap/resistor combo in series with the send output, and it's bypassed when nothing is plugged into the return jack. So if the loop isn't used the combo isn't in the signal path.

It's purpose is to compensate the capacitance of the cable plugged into the send output.

my ,02
teo
Just checked the diagram, I can see you are right about it. It's not setup parallel to the send/return. I still prefer running my delay pedal in parallel in the dumblator, though :)
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Just happened across this Weber PT as I was bouncing around the web this morning... It's made for low-power amp projects, but it looks like a good option for a FW CT D'lator power supply: Smaller footprint than a Fender 6G15 Reverb PT, and at 50mA on the HT still more than enough power (unfortunately a bit too big for a 1u rack, if that's a priority). EU/Oz friendly with 125/220/240 primary, and cheap at $12 US.

MPM

Edit: Weber no longer lists this transformer on their web page. David Allen (http://www.allenamps.com) has a small PT (model TP2X) with 120VAC primary and secondaries at 260VAC 10mA, and 6.3VAC 1A. The power rating and voltage are perfect for a D'lator power supply with a FWB rectifier. This is an H-mount with 2-3/8" mounting centers, and 1.65" tall. I believe this transformer will just fit in a 1u mounted upright on the bottom (with ~zero clearance). The outside height of a 1u is supposed to be 1.75". No square hole to cut either. No affiliation with Allen, just passing along some info.
Last edited by martin manning on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes, I almost went with that PT, but I decided to go with the Fender Reverb PT from AES to save on shipping because I bought a bunch of other stuff.
The PT was $23.
Tom

Structo

Post by Structo »

Final Schematic version with Fender Stand Alone PT.

Parts and voltages notated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

Tom,

Just doing some catch up reading. How did the project turn out? Were you satisfied with the result?

DS
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes, very much so.

The D'lator really rounds out the ODS style amp and I run my reverb, delay and chorus pedals in the loop.
I like the versatility with the extra knobs, you can really dial in some nice tones.
So if you like any time based effects in your tone then it's the way to go.
Some guys even run the loop with no effects in the chain, just use it for a tone enhancer.

One thing I did change however, was the 220K/500pf on the grid of the recovery amp.
For some reason that value really muddied up my tone so I reduced the resistor value down. Can't remember the exact number I ended up with but I think it was around 75K.

It could have been due to the pf/ft rating of the shielded cable I used.

But the circuit is a good one and the D'lator is almost a necessary companion to the ODS type amp if you ask me.

Quite a few guys now build it internally in their amps now.
Tom