Tweeked D'Lite Schematic

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: Tweeked D'Lite Schematic

Post by Structo »

Thanks!
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

kleinm wrote:
brownnote wrote:
Hi Mark, question..where are the dropping string values on the schematic coming from?

Here's a layout using the dropping string referenced in kleinm's post:

http://www.brownnote.net/layouts/dlite_ ... weeked.jpg
Damn, Moss! You don't mess around! Killer layout, thanks for sharing!

BTW, I think Mark's dropping string was recommended by dogears in a previous thread. He also recommended an alternative one for me to try out. I hope to do so after the holidays.

As a side note, I think its important to note that my PT is the stock Brown Note/Heyboer 320-0-320. With this dropping string, I have 442VDC on the plates of my 6L6s. Next time I have the chassis out, I'll measure all the pertinent voltages and post again.
That was the very thing I was gonna ask for. Soup to nuts please.
Thanks
Dan H
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Any chance an amp made from this layout would have less background hum if you separated the grounds and put all B+5 and B+4 grounds (including caps) to the lug by the input and redid the B+3 ground (presence) so it's not on the bussbar?
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

I have a question maybe Moss or Kleinm or others can address. I have figured on going with 6L6WTBs for a d'lite build for some time. I also have some old Iron that would probably not hold up to any 6L6 with 440+ on the plates.

The tube manual says that a 6L6GC operated in PP class A1 with 275 on the plates and biased at -21 should trip the hammer at about 17.5 watts. Now my question is would this set up have more headroom and chime than just going ahead and running 6V6GCs at 400 or so? All other things being more or less equal?

Thanks in advance
Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
kleinm

Post by kleinm »

heisthl wrote:Any chance an amp made from this layout would have less background hum if you separated the grounds and put all B+5 and B+4 grounds (including caps) to the lug by the input and redid the B+3 ground (presence) so it's not on the bussbar?
I'm no expert on grounding schemes, but my amp is now free of hum. It has your standard "gain wash", but no hum.

You might notice that I'm using a different Presence wiring than what is in Moss's layout. It may or may not make a difference.
67:1
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

heisthl wrote:Any chance an amp made from this layout would have less background hum if you separated the grounds and put all B+5 and B+4 grounds (including caps) to the lug by the input and redid the B+3 ground (presence) so it's not on the bussbar?
It's worth a try...I'm hot having any audible hum issues, but I'm always willing to try...

I didn't address the grounding, loop, or foot-switching scheme on the layout...all of those are pretty much the same as the fist version d'lite.
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

D'Lite Kits: http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

kleinm wrote:
I'm no expert on grounding schemes, but my amp is now free of hum. It has your standard "gain wash", but no hum.

You might notice that I'm using a different Presence wiring than what is in Moss's layout. It may or may not make a difference.
I didn't really check it out in the pix...what is the pres circuit you're using?

JimiB

Post by JimiB »

Is the pre OD network drawn correctly on this?
Also Klienm stated he was using the Bluesmaster PAB.
kleinm

Post by kleinm »

brownnote wrote:
I didn't really check it out in the pix...what is the pres circuit you're using?
Well, I'm not sure its different...but the potentiometer itself isn't connected to ground. The input to the Presence circuit hits lug 3 on the pot. A 390R tail resistor is wired from lug 3 (input) to the buss bar. Lugs 1 and 2 are jumpered together, and a 1uF electrolytic is connected to lugs 1/2 and then connected to the buss bar.

This way was a little more Dumble-like to me visually.
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

JimiB wrote:Is the pre OD network drawn correctly on this?
The pre-OD is a series cap between CL2 and OD1 in this case a .02/.05 with a 10M load to ground.

you're right...I didn't change the PAB...put that on the list of revisions.

kleinm

Post by kleinm »

Should be. From the relay, it hits a 0.05uF, into a 220k, into the 100k OD trim. There is a 10M pulldown resistor at the network entrance to prevent popping during switching.

And yes, the PAB is Bluesmaster-styled with a different padding resistor.
mdroberts1243

Post by mdroberts1243 »

kleinm wrote:
Should be. From the relay, it hits a 0.05uF, into a 220k, into the 100k OD trim. There is a 10M pulldown resistor at the network entrance to prevent popping during switching.

And yes, the PAB is Bluesmaster-styled with a different padding resistor.
How do I need to change the PAB in the schematic? Did you lift the bass tail resistor? Did you also lift the Mid? How much boost did you go for or what was the padding resistance?
-mark.
My tube blog & link directory: http://tubenexus.com
Cause & Effect Pedals FET Dream and Dumble Style Chassis
kleinm

Post by kleinm »

mdroberts1243 wrote:
How do I need to change the PAB in the schematic? Did you lift the bass tail resistor? Did you also lift the Mid? How much boost did you go for or what was the padding resistance?
That's completely your call! I think its great you took the time to document a few of my changes, and I'm honored. If you want to incorporate the PAB I used, sure! Yes, I lifted both the Bass tail resistor AND the Midrange pot.

I tuned the boost by ear to bring out more balls from my Strat, plain and simple. Fortunately, it works great for my humbucker guitars too. I liked 4M7, but YMMV.
Structo

Post by Structo »

So you padded the ground side of the PAB with a 4M7 resistor?
So this makes the apparent volume boost a little less than the original?
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

Structo wrote:So you padded the ground side of the PAB with a 4M7 resistor?
So this makes the apparent volume boost a little less than the original?
That's right...you can go all the way up to 10M or more.