Early 80s 'Grail Tone' high-plate, non-HRM schematic?

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mdroberts1243

Early 80s 'Grail Tone' high-plate, non-HRM schematic?

Post by mdroberts1243 »

O.k. with #124 captured to a schematic (thanks Brian, et al), I thought I would like to build the high-plate non-HRM version that is discussed a lot but not fully documented or backed up by (public) pictures... so a variant of the #124 schematic is born!

Please let me know if you think I've made the right trade-offs to nail this!

A number of claims attract me to this:
ayan wrote: ...the earlier 80s circuit (very easy to play, good crunch with OD, and screaming leads with OD + PAB)
heisthl wrote: If I could have only one it would be non-HRM. There is no substitute for the high you get when every note can sustain forever - it really is the "talent in a box" sound and if you play like I do you need all the help you can get....
ayan wrote: I have one amp set up that way, Skyliner with mid switch, and one with the early 80s circuit with a deep switch instead. The Skyliner sounds great with a Tele (better than the 80s), and it sounds great with my 335 on the bridge pickup (the 80s sounds just as good). But, t does not like the Strat very much at all. On the other hand, the 80s sounds best with the Strat and can be used with the 335 on the neck pickup.
{snip}
Gil
Some good threads to check out:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3615 Discussion on non-HRM variations, pros and cons.
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3839 Gil's summary of his recent 100k/1.5k build... with lots of discussion on the early 80s high plate versions too.

Some quotes that guided the value selection:
ayan wrote: I have seen more than one high plate amp, non HRM, but they have been 220K/150K for both V1 and V2, have had a 1uF bypass cap on V2 and a .047 CL2 coupling cap. An earlier version was the same, but with a .022 CL2 coupling cap.

Cheers,

Gil
ayan wrote: I have seen some higher plate amps (non HRM) with .05uF coupling cap on CL2 -- all but one actually. They did have the smaller, 1uF cathode bypass cap on CL2. However, that stuff will make some difference in the low end, but not too much in the "texture" of the overdrive, IMHO. The size of the resistors imparts a much stronger character that cannot be dialed out with coupling or cathode bypass caps.

Gil
ayan wrote:
dogears wrote:Actually, a few corrections.

{snip}

Lastly, there as many as dozens of non HRM Dumbles with the Skyline stack. Even the infamous Ultrasound tan one. It was his standard in the 80s....
Perhaps we should consider making that late 80s. :) The early 80s all had the classic EQ with the Deep switch, etc. The earliest Skyliner conversion I have heard of dates from 1986; the earliest chassis reflecting the MID switch that I know of dates from 1987.

Cheers,

Gil
ayan wrote: What I call the early 80s amp is similar to the Skyliner, but with a few important differences. Schematic is not out because there are not that many of those amps around that have not been "upgraded" to either Skyliner of HRM, and because the earlier schematics have been kept underground at the orginators' request. But, I can comment on the differences between that and say something along the lines of #124:

1. 220K/150K plate and 3.3K/2.2K cathode resistors for both V1 and V2.

2. V1A grid stopper is 22K, as opposed to 33K for the 100K amp.

3. Tone stack has a .047uF midrange cap.

4. Bass and middle tone pots are 250KA (no .001uF cap across it) and 100KL, respectively, and the tail on the bass pot is 1K, not 10K.

5. Deep Switch instead of Mid switch. The Deep switch, if you have not tried it, is very nice: it adds a bit of bass to the sound, tames the highs slightly and, best part, is that it also tames down the PAB mode. In contrast, I have found the Mid switch to have a lot of limitations.

Gil
dogears wrote: Although 124 is a nice sounding amp, I would not use its values as gospel. We have several other degooped "grail" specimens to consider. They all have 100K drive pots and 100K pre OD trimmers w/220K feeding them. Several have fairly large bright caps on the master!

All in all, I prefer 100K drive pot and a 100K OD trimmer. YMMV.
ayan wrote: 4. I have it on pretty good authority that back in 1982, RF's amp looked just like I just described.

Gil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-mark.
My tube blog & link directory: http://tubenexus.com
Cause & Effect Pedals FET Dream and Dumble Style Chassis
odourboy

Re: Early 80s 'Grail Tone' high-plate, non-HRM schematic?

Post by odourboy »

Okay. I'm convinced! I'm going to have one of these soon. :D

Nice job on sleuthing out all the relevant info and pulling it together like this under one post.
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
dogears

Post by dogears »

I'd use a 100K slope at first, if you use 70s stack. Are we sure that the 150K slope is there when the .047uf midcap is?

Also, I really don't like the sound of a 1uf coupler on V1B. None of my frist hand research, or collection of degooped pics shows this. I know of that there may be one or two Japanese specimans that had it, but I have tried it for years and not been happy.

YMMV.
mdroberts1243

Post by mdroberts1243 »

dogears wrote:I'd use a 100K slope at first, if you use 70s stack. Are we sure that the 150K slope is there when the .047uf midcap is?

Also, I really don't like the sound of a 1uf coupler on V1B. None of my frist hand research, or collection of degooped pics shows this. I know of that there may be one or two Japanese specimans that had it, but I have tried it for years and not been happy.

YMMV.
Thanks Scott,

I didn't collect any notes about the slope resistor, certainly willing to try 100k.

I had good luck with the 1uF (my mustard mojo cap) in my BluesMaster build and so Gil's postings cinched the deal for me... if I understand correctly, if I go for 4.7 or 10uF there I need to lower the CL2 coupler quite a bit, right? Should I be considering adding an OD pre-network too?
-mark.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Thanks for putting this together. Do you know the number for the multi tap Twin OT? I know the 022889 only has the 4ohm tap.

Did you run across the discussions of #123 and incorporate any of that into this schematic? Without having a chance to analyze all the schematics I was just wondering how to classify it; would it be closer to #123 or the nonHRM-101 or totally different.

I had wondered if there was enough info out there to put together a whole schematic for #123 or if you had just done that already with this schematic.

Thanks
mdroberts1243

Post by mdroberts1243 »

ic-racer wrote:Thanks for putting this together. Do you know the number for the multi tap Twin OT? I know the 022889 only has the 4ohm tap.

Did you run across the discussions of #123 and incorporate any of that into this schematic? Without having a chance to analyze all the schematics I was just wondering how to classify it; would it be closer to #123 or the nonHRM-101 or totally different.

I had wondered if there was enough info out there to put together a whole schematic for #123 or if you had just done that already with this schematic.

Thanks
I looked at the #123 schematic and my first impression was that it would be pretty close to this one... but I didn't go back to it, I focused on trying to get all the notes and discussions from the forum included or considered.

I don't have the part number for a multi-tap OT... on my last build I bought one of Funk's output transformers... I think he still makes them available.
-mark.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

The one with the 220/150's I saw had a skyliner stack, 150K slope, Mid-boost, 4.7uf bypass on all cathodes.

I will have to agree with dog ears on the 100K slope .05 mid cap, very SRV sounding! :wink:
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
mdroberts1243

Post by mdroberts1243 »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:The one with the 220/150's I saw had a skyliner stack, 150K slope, Mid-boost, 4.7uf bypass on all cathodes.

I will have to agree with dog ears on the 100K slope .05 mid cap, very SRV sounding! :wink:
Cool... SRV tone! I'm in for that!

But I think I'll keep a deep switch on this one as per Gil's notes.
Definitely will go for the 100k slope, willing to try the 4.7 instead of 1uf but what about a pre-OD network like Gil's and what about a 100k trimmer instead of 250k (for a lower total load)?
-mark.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

The only amp I've seen with the .05 mid cap had 100K plates, everything else I've seen with the high plates has had the skyliner stack. I hear that Gil's amp is fantastic, I hope to hear it next week!!

The only amp I've seen with a different pre-OD is that #124, all others (Except HRM of course) have had that 220K and 100K trimmer.

What software did you use for that schematic? it's really nice!
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Looks like PC Express software (but I may be wrong).

Check here for details on PC Express:

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/yabb2/Ya ... 1141159436

A number of the good folks over at the Hoffman forum have custom, tube amp friendly libraries that make using it a real snap to use.

Dave O.
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

mdroberts1243

Post by mdroberts1243 »

ampgeek wrote:Component library here:

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/yabb2/Ya ... 1163645957

Dave O.
ExpressPCB is it! You can also knock-off little boards as you need them (like the 4-relay board I did in the BM posting).
-mark.
mdroberts1243

Post by mdroberts1243 »

mdroberts1243 wrote:
ampgeek wrote:Component library here:

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/yabb2/Ya ... 1163645957

Dave O.
ExpressPCB is it! You can also knock-off little boards as you need them (like the 4-relay board I did in the BM posting).
Actually, ExpressSCH and ExpressPCB... 'free' software that doesn't take up much space... http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm ... ftware.htm
-mark.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Nice.
I had a bit of trouble when I put the custom symbols in the Express PCB folder.
They would't show up in the component manager even when I selected the custom symbol button.
I had to move the new symbols into the
C:\Program Files\ExpressPCB\SchComponents_Library

Before they would show up in the manager.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
hipbluescat

Post by hipbluescat »

Great post and great links