Brown Note D'Lite 22 (First Build w/Pix)

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

heisthl

Re: Brown Note D'Lite 22 (First Build w/Pix)

Post by heisthl »

RE: Eminence 105 series - I've done a lot of testing with Eminence 10's and for super reverb use 4 of these is magic. For single speaker configurations the RamRod handles raw power better and is my favorite, both the RamRod and 1058 sound better than the RaginCajun to my ears, the RCajun has too much mid and the low end breaks up too quick although it does play nicely with either of the other 2 in dual 10 configurations. At low volumes or in a 4 speaker configuration the 1058 is by far the most balanced from high to low.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

heisthl wrote:RE: Eminence 105 series - I've done a lot of testing with Eminence 10's and for super reverb use 4 of these is magic. For single speaker configurations the RamRod handles raw power better and is my favorite, both the RamRod and 1058 sound better than the RaginCajun to my ears, the RCajun has too much mid and the low end breaks up too quick although it does play nicely with either of the other 2 in dual 10 configurations. At low volumes or in a 4 speaker configuration the 1058 is by far the most balanced from high to low.
Complete thread hijacking, but heisthl's comments are interesting...I just spent a weekend undoing a bunch of tweaks I'd made before I decided to trust my instincts: I'd been using a G12-65 with an Emi Legend 1058, and I kept turning the presence pot to 0, trying to figure out how to bleed off some of the brightness, etc. I eventually just unhooked the Legend, and it was immediately clear that I had been fighting something in the 2-3kHz range on the Legend.

There's something about 10" speakers I like: attack, articulation, or something that compliments a good 12". But for me, that Legend was a distraction and not a compliment. I have been talking to Jim at Southbay Ampworks about a Scumback 10" instead. I'm hoping it'll have a bit better mojo for what I'm after.
-g
doveman

Post by doveman »

I didn't actually expect to like the Emi Legend 10516 but the pair came with a cabinet I bought. I figured I'd have to replace them. But I like them quite a bit. After a little breaking in they started working well. They sound better to me than my EVM-12L with the D'Lite ... which knocked me off my pins ... surprise!

The 2x10 is not bad with the Boogie either! It reminds me of a Fender 10s sort of thing. The EVM is still a great speaker at stage volume with the Boogie.

This is what got me to thinking about the G12-65. Well it showed up today. I can't spend a lot of time on it this week ... a project is taking most of the week. But I did have time to unload the EVM-12L and put the G12-65 in my 1x12. Right out of the box I think it will work well alone and with the Emi 2x10 cabinet. Both are 8 ohm cabs.

BTW - This is the first time the EVM-12L out of the cab since the early '80s. Man that's a fine looking piece of art ... what a magnet ... with the heat sinks and all. Beautiful!

Bonus: The g12-65 1x12, Emi 2x10 & D'Lite 22/33 head are all lighter than the Boogie & EVM 1x12. My back thanks me. Kind of cool looking together too with matching grill cloth. :D
Last edited by doveman on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Yea, complete thread hijack but great speaker discussion.

Funny how one guy likes the Emi 105's because they're not as bright, another guy says there's too bright 3K range.

I bought an Emi Delta Pro because reports are it's not as bright as the EVM. I'm yet to hear it waiting on the cabinet from Boogafunk. Looks like an interesting combination.

I have Weber Alnico's in my Super clone and the bottom end is too loose. I'm thinking a pair of 105's with a pair of the Webers might work out. :idea:
doveman

Post by doveman »

Bob-I wrote:Yea, complete thread hijack but great speaker discussion.
Well ... it was my original post about my first build ... and I'm really interested in what speakers work well with this type of amp ... so go ahead and keep talking.

I'll have some more clips of my amp with speakers by this weekend. I'll post some links here too. Highlighting the G12-65 but I'll see if I can show some of the 2x10 sounds, as well.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

greiswig wrote:
heisthl wrote:RE: Eminence 105 series - I've done a lot of testing with Eminence 10's and for super reverb use 4 of these is magic. For single speaker configurations the RamRod handles raw power better and is my favorite, both the RamRod and 1058 sound better than the RaginCajun to my ears, the RCajun has too much mid and the low end breaks up too quick although it does play nicely with either of the other 2 in dual 10 configurations. At low volumes or in a 4 speaker configuration the 1058 is by far the most balanced from high to low.
Complete thread hijacking, but heisthl's comments are interesting...I just spent a weekend undoing a bunch of tweaks I'd made before I decided to trust my instincts: I'd been using a G12-65 with an Emi Legend 1058, and I kept turning the presence pot to 0, trying to figure out how to bleed off some of the brightness, etc. I eventually just unhooked the Legend, and it was immediately clear that I had been fighting something in the 2-3kHz range on the Legend.

There's something about 10" speakers I like: attack, articulation, or something that compliments a good 12". But for me, that Legend was a distraction and not a compliment. I have been talking to Jim at Southbay Ampworks about a Scumback 10" instead. I'm hoping it'll have a bit better mojo for what I'm after.
I have a 4/12 cab stuffed with 1058s and I love it. But I'm down 70db in my right ear at 3500 anyway. :lol: I have a EMI swamp demon (10") that's just terrible in the highs but has some down low power and smoothness that's kinda good. I think it might pair well with some sort of a bright beast. A little farther down the road. I wonder if it's comparable to the Swamp Thing? Brandon says that one's too dark.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

skyboltone wrote:I have a 4/12 cab stuffed with 1058s and I love it. But I'm down 70db in my right ear at 3500 anyway. :lol: I have a EMI swamp demon (10") that's just terrible in the highs but has some down low power and smoothness that's kinda good. I think it might pair well with some sort of a bright beast. A little farther down the road. I wonder if it's comparable to the Swamp Thing? Brandon says that one's too dark.
My hearing took a shot a year or so ago when a compressed air line ruptured next to a tool I was working with. But hearing tests since then indicate that I am in the 90th percentile for males less than 20 years old. I still "hear" a difference when I'm mixing: it is harder for me to hear above 12kHz than it used to be, even if hearing tests are saying that I'm still good there.

Anyway, everyone's goals are different. I should also have added that I tend to prefer single coils (Strat, Tele and a PRS with Z-90's) to humbuckers. It may be that the Legend works really well for humbuckers?
-g
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

I have a very "particular about tone" professional Blues guitarist friend who tried all the weber flavors of 10's in his Super Reverb and is happiest with his tone using the Emi Legends.
www.RedPlateAmps.com
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

heisthl wrote:I have a very "particular about tone" professional Blues guitarist friend who tried all the weber flavors of 10's in his Super Reverb and is happiest with his tone using the Emi Legends.
What kind of guitars?
-g
doveman

Post by doveman »

I've got several kinds:
PAF (8k-9k) Humbucker - Semi Hollow Body
Mixed (8k-14k) - Himbucker - SG Style
Tele Original Vintage pups
Stat - G&L Legacy
Lollar - P90 - Gold Top Style

My first clip included the Strat (clean) and the SG Style (OD)

The Summertime clip I did was with the Strat (clean) and the P90 (OD)

I did another with the Tele and Semi-Hollow ... I need to fix the clip link

I think they all sounded good with the Emi 2x10. I've noticed that I have to back off both the treble, presence with the single coils and boost the inital volume with the single coils. The P90s and the Humbuckers eq out about the same.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

greiswig wrote:
heisthl wrote:I have a very "particular about tone" professional Blues guitarist friend who tried all the weber flavors of 10's in his Super Reverb and is happiest with his tone using the Emi Legends.
What kind of guitars?
Strat with Novak pickups
www.RedPlateAmps.com
phsyconoodler

Post by phsyconoodler »

Nice build and real tasty playing.
However,when I click on your soundclips,there is a partcularly offensive pop-up on the top that I think you should have removed.
Crystal latice or vacuum,that is the question.
doveman

Post by doveman »

Thanks ... on the build and songs.

Soundclick has some pop-up advertising ... to pay the bills. When I clicked on it ... I got Verizon. I think it's pretty random and not controlled by the individual. I don't think I've seen anything too bad that I can remember. Admittedly, I'm not easily offended though. I actually don't usually even notice the advertising.

Sorry, it they had something that offended you. But nothing I control or could remove.
eleanor296

Post by eleanor296 »

Doveman - yes I'm your son's friend. I'm pretty much set on building one of these babies now, though the 18Watt is still swimming around in the back of my mind somewhere hehe.
650 for a brownnote kit.... that's not too shabby, huh?
I still want to play one of these first though....
Sorry I can't contribute anything about speakers... I just always use my trusty warehouse guitar speakers, they haven't failed me so far =]
doveman

Post by doveman »

I bought a Celestion G12-65 that I'm trying out in place of my EVM-12L. After it breaks in, we'll see how it goes. The 1x12 and 2x10 Emi cabs are now in my Avatar.