Brown Note D'Lite 22 (First Build w/Pix)

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

djroge1

Re: Brown Note D'Lite 22 (First Build w/Pix)

Post by djroge1 »

doveman wrote:This was my first build ... my only build actually. I enjoyed the process and recommend the Brown Note amps. The guys at their forum were very helpful. You can see all my posts there but the link in the original post shows my whole build. I have done a few things ... taken off the bass mod ... rewired the tube selector switch ... bought a speaker cab and changed speakers once. But it's basically the original build.

I liked it so much that I gave my '78 Boogie/EVM12L setup to my son in March for his birthday.

So ... if you do your homework ... and pay attention ... ask a lot of questions ... it can be done. The simpler builds might be a better place to start, but I wanted one of these amps.
Right now I'm tossed between starting with an easier build like a champ or 5E3. But like you I really want more of this sound. I'm not sure what I would do with the first amp once I built the Dlite?

Do you know if the Dlite chasis will fit into the gabkits cabinets?
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

djroge1 wrote: Right now I'm tossed between starting with an easier build like a champ or 5E3. But like you I really want more of this sound. I'm not sure what I would do with the first amp once I built the Dlite?

No, it doesn't but we always have the cabs available, they're within $15 of the gabkits.
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

D'Lite Kits: http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html
doveman

Post by doveman »

I bought a head cab ... then later a 1x12 open back ... from Brown Note. I'm glad I did ... the amp deserves a good clean professional box that fits. It's a real nice amp.
djroge1

Post by djroge1 »

brownnote wrote:
djroge1 wrote: Right now I'm tossed between starting with an easier build like a champ or 5E3. But like you I really want more of this sound. I'm not sure what I would do with the first amp once I built the Dlite?

No, it doesn't but we always have the cabs available, they're within $15 of the gabkits.
I've priced both cabs, but with gabkits there is a greater choice of color and screen and this may be weird, but I am thinking something different like red or blue. Of course, color is secondary to the amp itself.
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

cool...
We'll do whatever colors and grill you want....I know it doesn't say so, but if you ask...
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

D'Lite Kits: http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html
djroge1

Post by djroge1 »

brownnote wrote:cool...
We'll do whatever colors and grill you want....I know it doesn't say so, but if you ask...
Well you might just have a future customer then. Thanks.
Travst

Post by Travst »

That is a really great thread on the brownote forum. The pics are really outstanding. I learned a bit just from reading through it. Congrats!
Structo

Post by Structo »

Hi John,
Are you going to buy a D'Lite? :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
djroge1

Post by djroge1 »

Travst wrote:That is a really great thread on the brownote forum. The pics are really outstanding. I learned a bit just from reading through it. Congrats!
It's helped me too, in my planning stages. I tried to get access to the brown note forum, but they must not like me? Perhaps it's only for customers or I did something wrong trying to register.
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

you did somthing wrong try again
Structo

Post by Structo »

djroge1 wrote:
Travst wrote:That is a really great thread on the brownote forum. The pics are really outstanding. I learned a bit just from reading through it. Congrats!
It's helped me too, in my planning stages. I tried to get access to the brown note forum, but they must not like me? Perhaps it's only for customers or I did something wrong trying to register.
I think you have to have somebody give you a number that appears when they log on.

Try this: Sign-up Code: 931889
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
doveman

Post by doveman »

I'm glad you guys are getting something out of the thread. Being my one and only build, I was a bit worried but it worked out well.

The amp has not had any mods with the exception of removing the initial bass mod and adding a loop kit. I have bought a couple of speakers.

The hardest thing for me has been finding the right sound playing loud/live and playing some old school rock. Having always had 100w available - well a 22w amp was a bit of a learning experience..

But lately it's been real nice and I have the best of both worlds with 33w and a more powerful EVM12L speaker. A bit louder and stll sounds good for recording.

The journey was a lot of fun - worth the trip! :)
Travst

Post by Travst »

Structo wrote:Hi John,
Are you going to buy a D'Lite? :D
I'm researching, Tom. I'm reading electronics books and hitting the forums. I'm starting my 18-watt build this week and looking into other amps and their features. I'd be hard pressed to say what I'll do next, but the D'Lite is high on the list.
doveman

Post by doveman »

Still liking my D'Lite 22/33 ... have made a couple of adjustments since the initial build:

Added Loop: This loop lets me add a Digitech Hardwire REVERB and DELAY + EBjr 50k Volume Pedal + Korg Pitchblack Tuner (all very quiet in the loop)

Added Relays: Added two footswitchable relays that flip the CLEAN-to-OD and the PREAMP BOOST. This lets me take all the OD footpedals out of my system and just use the amp.

[IMG:640:353]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168 ... nished.jpg[/img]

[IMG:639:367]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168 ... Labels.jpg[/img]

Added EVM12L Reissue: This speaker sounds just like the EVM12L I had since the early 80s in my Mesa/Boogie. I've recently joined a band and at live volumes the 1x12 with the G1265 was a little loose on the low end.

[IMG:629:640]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168 ... lassic.jpg[/img]

The amp is kicking and is doing well in the live band right now. :)
doveman

Post by doveman »

doveman wrote:
fp2000 wrote:Aren't the 5881's supposed to handle up to 400v ?
I am asking because that is what the specs say and because I want to try some tung sols.
Please let me know which ones are you using.
Thanks
F
I thought the same thing too. But Moss at Brown Note recommend them in the top 3 tubes for the D'Lite 22/33. He responded that they were able to handle it. I've used them for quite a while and the are great. I use the Tung-Sol version.
I'd like to come back and mention that I ended up taking out the 5881 tubes. They were getting pretty hot ... hot enough to have the labels starting to turn brown on the tube base ... noticeably hotter when near the amp while it was running. Tried both 6V6 and 6L6 on their appropriate OT settings ... both ran cooler. Ended up going with the 6L6 choice just to avoid "lack of volume" problems when playing live. Anyway 445v seems to make them run a bit hot after all ... they always sounded good though. 8)