ODS #124 Chassis Layout

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: ODS #124 Chassis Layout

Post by martin manning »

Well, I drew this in Powerpoint so I don't think that will be of much additional help to you.

I'm looking at getting some quotes from local fabricators once I get everything dialed in for the compopnents and mounting hardware I'm using. I'll have to put it into a real CAD program for that, but it might be a while.

In general it seems like everyone has their own idea of exactly what the rear panel layout should be (I think I'd like an IEC power inlet, and a couple of HT fuses). Then there are the specific dimensions for the boards, transformer mounting holes, and the PT cut-out. I have my own version, but I thought for wider appeal it might be better to leave out the small holes, say everythig less than 1/4", unless they go with a standardized hole or cut-out such as for the tube sockets and IEC. The others are easy enough to drill as needed. Any thoughts on this, anybody?

MPM
DonMoose wrote:Mr Manning -

Would it be unfair to ask for a source file or maybe a .DXF? There are some mildly perverted things I'd like to do to this chassis, and starting from a dimensioned source would make it so much more convenient.

My only drafting tool is OpenOffice Draw, if that gives you some indication of my pain threshold.

Thanks,
some MooseMan
v00d00blues79

Post by v00d00blues79 »

The holes on the front panel, the tube sockets and the PT hole have always been the biggest pain for me. If those are done, then everything else is gravy. :grin:

Andy
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

I agree on the IEC inlet. Lose the ground switch completely - perhaps one of your fuse holes instead? I like the option of an upright PT rather than the Fender-style Z-mount - more room inside, layout is a LOT easier. I put switches on the back of one of mine for 1) CL2 feedback (hi, lo, none), and 2) OD input sensitivity.

I think it would be cool if the chassis were set up for 3 relays, too.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

martin manning wrote: In general it seems like everyone has their own idea of exactly what the rear panel layout should be (I think I'd like an IEC power inlet, and a couple of HT fuses).
I like the IEC (with integral fuse?) idea.

The kink I had in mind was a separate clean-only and OD-only preamp in an extra-wide strip (think Twin Reverb 2-channel). Then to make it even worse, I was thinking of two of those strips to give me separate-but-equal control over each pickup in an ES-345 (think Sunn Beta, but with tubes).

I guess just reiterating your very impressive work is the way to go.

Have I mentioned that I'm kind of a feature creep?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Don, you are much more adventurous than I. My plan is to do an ODS with a few minor layout changes and a modernized back panel. This really needs to go into a CAD program so it can be modified as needed and handed to a fab shop when the time comes. I'll likely get to that in the next few weeks.

mlp-mx6, a generic ODS chassis could easily be modified to include a third relay, with the biggest problem being where to put another manual activation switch, but that's only a 1/4" hole and easy to add. Maybe leaving some undeveloped real estate on the preamp-end of the back for additional small switches would be a good move.

There are several possibilities, but what would you propose to use the third relay for?

It would be hard to have something that would work with either a lay-down or upright PT... it'd have to be one or the other. That wouldn't preclude having one or more made from the same basic drawing but without the z-mount cutout.

MPM