ODS #124 Chassis Layout

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

ODS #124 Chassis Layout

Post by martin manning »

Not being happy with any of the currently available D-type chassis, I decided to try to make a drawing from the #124 info. I think the attached file is pretty close now after a couple of days of nudging things around to agree with pictures and known part dimensions. Any comments?

MPM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tubedogsmith

Re: ODS #124 Chassis Layout

Post by tubedogsmith »

Martin, great job!! If you're doing a dead on 124 clone this looks good. However, I'd probably consider going a little more generic on the back panel, lose the square switches, adding an impedence switch. losing the auxillary outlet and doing a cutout for a din jack instead of the XLR.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

tubedogsmith wrote:Martin, great job!! If you're doing a dead on 124 clone this looks good. However, I'd probably consider going a little more generic on the back panel, lose the square switches, adding an impedence switch. losing the auxillary outlet and doing a cutout for a din jack instead of the XLR.
Thanks! I don't plan to duplicate a 124, but since I was going from the pictures of it I wanted to start from there as sort of a historical benchmark, and I've now gained some insight into how the thing was put together mechanically. I dislike slide switches, and I'd likely go to the later power supply as well as a multi-tap OT.

MPM
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

While I do understand the wish to build as close to the original as possible, the old standard DIN jacks are real crap!
rmb550

Post by rmb550 »

Agree on the DIN connectors. I am going to use Neutrik XLR and a standard microphone cable to connect to the footswitch.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Aurora wrote:While I do understand the wish to build as close to the original as possible, the old standard DIN jacks are real crap!
Say it aint so - Midi cables work better than the CAT 5 (ethernet cable) connectors which a lot of commercial builders are going to these days. I've had no trouble using the MIDI stuff and the cables can be easily (and cheaply) purchased at almost any lenght.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Normster

Post by Normster »

Not sure why DIN connectors came up in this thread, but 124 DOES use 5-pin XLR (and that's what the layout shows as well). Having said that, I agree with heisthl...no problem using DIN jacks so far.

Back on topic, though...this is an excellent baseline layout. Thanks for sharing!!! :D
tubedogsmith

Post by tubedogsmith »

heisthl wrote:
Aurora wrote:While I do understand the wish to build as close to the original as possible, the old standard DIN jacks are real crap!
Say it aint so - Midi cables work better than the CAT 5 (ethernet cable) connectors which a lot of commercial builders are going to these days. I've had no trouble using the MIDI stuff and the cables can be easily (and cheaply) purchased at almost any lenght.

Amen, I'd much rather wire up the Din female jacks and use the midi cord than wire 5 leads to those male XLR jacks. I brought up the Din jacks for this reason.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Nice! Good work!

Now we need someone to make up a batch of these...
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

Mr Manning -

Would it be unfair to ask for a source file or maybe a .DXF? There are some mildly perverted things I'd like to do to this chassis, and starting from a dimensioned source would make it so much more convenient.

My only drafting tool is OpenOffice Draw, if that gives you some indication of my pain threshold.

Thanks,
some MooseMan
v00d00blues79

Post by v00d00blues79 »

Awesome! I'd be up for a copy of a .DXF, or a .DWG, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks!

Andy
rmb550

Post by rmb550 »

I made up some drawings for the chassis and had them priced:
15 units @C$80.95 each
slightly lower for higher quantities.
These are 1/8" AL punched formed and seam welded. No other finishing.
I have a cost of C$370 for 1-off prototype.
Any comments?
v00d00blues79

Post by v00d00blues79 »

is this will everything as layed out in the drawing? Square holes for slide switches and such?

Thanks,

Andy
rmb550

Post by rmb550 »

No my bad -- It's more like the funk chassis.
v00d00blues79

Post by v00d00blues79 »

That doesn't sound bad at all. The prices seem reasonable too.

Thanks,

Andy