Dumble suede Tolex

Dumble schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guitard

Dumble suede Tolex

Post by Guitard »

Hi
I am new to this site and very excited about the opportunity to build my rail tone amp. I have read all of the lists and you guys are great !

I think that I am settled on an ODS clone 80"s style - LC & RF voicings. Think it will be based on 124 initially. Can anyone help me with the following please

1) HRM upgrade schematic
2) Website to purchase the suede tolex
3) Website for amp casing.

Thanks

[/b]
briane

Re: Dumble suede Tolex

Post by briane »

couple of clarifications:

1) HRM - this is an OD circuit, not an upgrade. Look at the ODS-101 HRM schematic. Works best with dual master vols.
2) suede tolex: no such thing. Tolex is a plastic like product. Suede is a leather. you can by leather from tandy leather, but its pricey. I probably would not use suede, due to its penchance for staining if it gets wet. go with some other type of leather
3) casing: are you talking about the chassy or cab? theres lots of options, you need to decide what you want to do (ie how it will look), and how much your willing to spend.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

I love my rail tone amp!
Guitard

Post by Guitard »

HI Guys
Many thanks for the replies. It all helps.

I have done a little more research now and looks like I am going for a Ceriatone.

Now its just wether I settle on a 50 or 100 ODS or a HRM. Any thoughts.
I was also thinking about the PT & OT's. Should I go with the Ceriatone models or upgrade straight away given the extra shipping costs.
Does more money spent on better OT's & PT's mean better sound quality.

Questons / Questions.
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Guitard wrote:HI Guys
I have done a little more research now and looks like I am going for a Ceriatone.
Questons / Questions.
I have a Ceriatone OTS50 and it is really high quality with all the right components already in the kit; Dale resistors, correct type Orange Drops etc. - REMEMBER TO ALLOW IT 50-100 HOURS OF BURN IN TIME!
Now its just wether I settle on a 50 or 100 ODS or a HRM. Any thoughts.
Questons / Questions.
The 50 is fine for me, I'm not Robben Ford or Larry Carlton, who play large venues. I play clubs etc. so 50 watts is fine. I have upgraded the two 100 uf Capacitors in the powersupply to 2 x 200 uf. That gives a stiffer supply at high volume levels and the illusion of more power.
I was also thinking about the PT & OT's. Should I go with the Ceriatone models or upgrade straight away given the extra shipping costs.
Does more money spent on better OT's & PT's mean better sound quality.
Questons / Questions.
I decided to buy mine without the Ceriatone transformers alltogether. Glad I did. Lots of people upgrade the amp, so why pay a lot of shipping to Europe for something that will be upgraded anyway. I decided on Hammond PT and Choke. The OT is from Mercury Mag. I think this selection is pretty close to the Fender Prosonic, that seem to be in Vogue.
Guitard

Post by Guitard »

Hi
Thanks for the heads up. I think that I am going to build a 50w ODS and a 50 HRM . Thinking of using these with a custom D/ open back 2x12 and a closed back 2x12. Will use an amp switcher between the two.

Any chance you could let me have the part numbers of for the OT / Choke and PT. I also agree why pay for extra shipping if these parts are to upgraded.

My good friend and guitar mentor Brian P in LA has played with the crusader since 97 and uses this config live. He;s a big Holdsworth fan but has played with Carlton, Landau & Lukather in the early days. Might be worth a check out for you in the future.
jelle

Post by jelle »

How about this: two OD channels: non-HRM and HRM.
I built this one recently.

Jelle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jelle on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluesfendermanblues

Guitard wrote:Hi
Thanks for the heads up. I think that I am going to build a 50w ODS and a 50 HRM . Thinking of using these with a custom D/ open back 2x12 and a closed back 2x12. Will use an amp switcher between the two.

Any chance you could let me have the part numbers of for the OT / Choke and PT. I also agree why pay for extra shipping if these parts are to upgraded.

My good friend and guitar mentor Brian P in LA has played with the crusader since 97 and uses this config live. He;s a big Holdsworth fan but has played with Carlton, Landau & Lukather in the early days. Might be worth a check out for you in the future.
My trannies are:
PT: Hammond fe022798 (paid 59,00 EUR at TubeTown in Germany)
Choke: Hammond fe125c1a / 90 mA (paid 28,00 EUR at TubeTown)
OT: Mercury Magnetics: FTBO-MM ('59 Tweed--2, 4, 8) (200 USD direct from MM)

Pretty standard choices ;-)
Guitard

Post by Guitard »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your help - fantastic. I may need to come back to you for more help. Hope that's OK.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Man, those Merc Mag OT's are expensive!

$200 for a 2, 4?
Are they really worth that or is it because you can say you have MM iron in the amp? :lol:

Check out the Fender Prosonic OT, 4,8, 16 50 watt, 2 x 6L6 operation.

I think I paid about $60 for it from Steve @ Angela.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
bluesfendermanblues

Structo wrote:Man, those Merc Mag OT's are expensive!

$200 for a 2, 4?
Are they really worth that or is it because you can say you have MM iron in the amp? :lol:

Check out the Fender Prosonic OT, 4,8, 16 50 watt, 2 x 6L6 operation.

I think I paid about $60 for it from Steve @ Angela.
Correction: its a "FTBO-MM '59 Tweed" with 2, 4, 8 & 16Ω taps
(and Ultra Liniar Taps if you want to use that - I don't)

I don't have a preference for Mercury mags. 8)

The story is that before I got into the D'Clone craze, I tried to upgrade my Fender 59' RI - with weber 125 speakers, Sozo caps, carbon comps and a better OT. I read somewhere that the Mercury Mag should be the best there is. However, I wasn't able to hear a big improvement in tone between the original transformer and the Mercury Mag. Maybe, its because you have to drive the amplifier hard to appreciate the difference. I don't know. I believe Fenders transformers (Hammond?) are OK.

Therefore, when I ordered the kit from Ceriatone, I decided to swap transformers and use the Mercury in the OTS D'clone and put the original Bassman back in the 59'.

I've read a lot about the Fender Prosonic OT as well as MusicMan ditto, which seems to be preferred around here, but I would probably be just as happy with a:

Hammond standard transformer like the 50watt Model 1750M /125A13A / 022871, (4,200 Ohms /with 2, 4, 8)
jelle

Post by jelle »

Heyboer is great too. Mojotone has these as part of their standard line, IIRC.

Mercury Magnetics is nice for hifi-ish cleans. I loved it in the BF tremolux I put it in. I like Heyboer OTs better when the output stage starts to distort.

Have fun!

jelle
briane

Post by briane »

How about this: two OD channels: non-HRM and HRM.
Hey jelle, I put mine on a switch! does require changing settings when you switch over, so best to have switch on back.

Regarding OT, my personal fav is the dynaco 470. tad over a hundred bucks US.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
jelle

Post by jelle »

In the Angels Breath, I have two separate OD channels in one amp. The advantage is that you have basically a 3 channel amp with separate volume controls: clean channel, non-HRM and HRM. And accessible via footswitch. Really useful on stage. :D

This way you do not have to make as many compromises with settings.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Jelle you have some nice looking amps in your photo bucket.

Mark