Basic question: How To Solder on Pot Back

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sliberty

Basic question: How To Solder on Pot Back

Post by sliberty »

This may seem very basic, but I have always had trouble with it. What is the best way to solder a ground wire (bus) onto the back of the pots in my EXpress build? Anytime I have tried to solder onto the back of a pot, i have found that the solder doesn't really adhere solidly to the pot. It sort of sticks a little, but pops right off as soon as any pressure is exerted. Would a higher wattage iron help at all? Someone once told me that this is the key.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Last edited by sliberty on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob-I

Re: Basic question: How To Solder on Pot Back

Post by Bob-I »

Personally I don't like this method of grounding. I prefer using a ground bus wire above the pots, but....

To get a decent solder joint to a pot, start with some sandpaper or emory cloth. Rough up the spot you want to solder to first. Often the manufacture will have a coating on the metal. Use a fairly high wattage iron,40-50 watts, and a wide flat tip. Tin the iron, pot and wire first.
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Firstly, I concur with Bob. I don't like the "solder to the pot body" approach either - though I know Mr. Fischer used it.

An additional suggestion is to degrease the pot casing with naphtha or lacquer thinner.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Steve, What kind of pots are you using? Alphas solder fine if you grind a little circle on the back of the pot. I use a dremel tool with a grinding bit to lightly score the back. PEC's...forget it! Stainless backs will tak hundreds of watts! I think the newer clarostats are like the PEC's

Allyn
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

The pots I have are Alphas. I used a higher wattage iron, and the solder seems solid. Thanks to all who responded.
krash

Post by krash »

BTW I'll also add myself to the "don't solder to pots" camp but if you want to improve adhesion, use some liquid flux on the pot.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

Me, too. I wouldn't solder ground wires to the brass plate (as in Fenders) either. When I changed the brass plate grounds to wired grounds in my Bandmaster hum was substantially reduced.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

I wonder about conductive plastic pots and the heat it takes to get a good solder joint. I've never ruined one but then again I've never tried it either.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.