New build, built in attenuater?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

azatplayer

New build, built in attenuater?

Post by azatplayer »

I had a mini Z recently that had an airbrake built in to it.

I got some parts ages ago and was gonna build an airbrake but fell out of love with the one i had.

Im in the middle of building a 50watt plexi, and have some choices for MV, basically a pig control or a PPIMV. But got to thinking,m i have plenty of room on top of the chassis, maybe a built in attenuater like the mini had, basically bolt on an airbrake on top of the amp. Set up three clicks of attenuation using an impedence selector switch? Could be an idea.

I put a LAR/MAR PPIMV in my 71' SL/A. Its excellent to tale the top off the sheer grunt, you know that massive whack they have. But below about 7, i find it sucks. But is hugely usable in that forst range, which i guess would be a couple clicks on the attenuater. Just not too sure if i want to add that or the basic pig which works ok, tho it can clean the amp up too.

Before you say power scaling, im just curious if anyones done this, and maybe how it was wired, that is measured for the clicks of attenuation.

I saw Joe Bonnamassa tonight. Hes down under for a blues festival up north, but hit the ground today in his first show.
Apparently went guitar shopping today as they broke one of his LP's in transit..
This guy has some incredible tone. Using a pair of hired DSL Marshalls, he was pulling out the sweetest tones. Brilliant player.
Got me all juiced to get this plexi done!