View Before You Die

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

PCollen

View Before You Die

Post by PCollen »

Just wanted you all to see this amazing performance before you leave this world. Beck at his best; and on a Tele (no trem) no less, with Fender Twins in the backline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsfL6ATX1i4
Richie

Re: View Before You Die

Post by Richie »

tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

OK - this thread is a bit ominous and could be taken a number of ways - too late I already opened it - Dang!
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Ok I watched both can I die now?

I like Beck in small doses. He is very skilled at what he does, but a full 3 hour show is 2 hours to long. If the drummer didn't stop playing you wouldn't know when the song ended.

Lets be honest how many of us rocked the ripped shirt and mollet in the 80's?

I wonder when they will have a Yardbird reunion?
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I really like the first video over the one Richie posted thanks guys.
Richie

Post by Richie »

M Fowler wrote:I really like the first video over the one Richie posted thanks guys.
i was just posting to show another video of him using the tele, even though it had a humbucker in it. I'm much more into the rocked out stuff JB does.. :)
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

You know who does some really rocking electric work Neil Young. I was first introduced to his mellow acoustic music and was never able to get into it. Then I saw him perform live, dragged against my will thinking oh no this is going to be a long show... he came out holding an acoustic played one song, I was pretty sure I was in for a long night of folk snoozers. The next song and the rest of the night was an awesome loud in your face rock show.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

How bout this one? Especially Tal Wilkenfeld, the 20 something bass player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC02wGj5 ... re=related
PCollen

Post by PCollen »

selloutrr wrote:You know who does some really rocking electric work Neil Young. ....
Try as I might, I never quite mastered the Cinnamon Girl lead break.... :roll:
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I love how opinions differ...makes things interesting.

One of the things I really like about Beck is his phrasing. He's alot like Hendrix in that regard. You think you know what notes he is playing until you get out your guitar and really listen hard -then you realize that so many notes are phrased with a twist and not at all easy to play. This trait allows me to listen over and over and to keep hearing 'new' things.

On the other hand, I find Neil Young to be one the biggest hacker electric guitar players on the planet. Nice acoustic player, great songwriter, unique singer, hack on electric. If fact, I often use Neil as my prime example that some guys just can't play an electric guitar. And what lousy tone. I couldn't dial a worse tone if I tried. Neil is probably intentionally playing with a stiff right hand and bad tone. I think he likes playing anti-electric guitar just like the anti-solo on Cinnamon Girl.

Choose your poison.
rp

Post by rp »

View Before You Die
At first I thought this was going to be a public service announcement with a picture of an electrocuted tech and a don't do this caption. Enjoyed the Beck.

I saw NY a few times before the Johnny Rotten / Devo Rust era and a few times after in the 80s/90s, and no idea what he's sounding like now, but he's no electric hack. I think he just plays at at being a ham-fisted hack, especially in the 80s & 90s, afraid to sound too slick or too good or something like that. In the 70s when the goal was to keep up with the Hendrix and Page thing he sounded brilliant, slow and simple but always lyrical and eminently toneful, and he can solo forever (in the best way) - so it's there. Can't blame him for wanting to stay out of ruts which apparently he does by getting raw and primal.