Epiphone Junior

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

Epiphone Junior

Post by skyboltone »

Greetings all:
I just ordered one of these little heads.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 338558.jpg

There are mods posted already all over the net. About 50 guys on the Les Paul forum have bought them and the raves continue. Peformance/cost ratio is outstanding.

I'll let you all know.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Re: Epiphone Junior

Post by Allynmey »

Hi Sky, the heads are much better than the combos. With a few mods they make great pactice amps. They are quite loud for 5 watts. The heads have DC heaters which lowers hum.Raise the gain and you will be happy. There are lots of mod info out there. I changed mine with a layout from Richie on our forum and Plexi from 18 watt. It sounds quite good and likes greenbacks and a strat also.

Allynmey
galibier_numero_un

Post by galibier_numero_un »

skyboltone wrote:Greetings all:
I just ordered one of these little heads.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 338558.jpg

There are mods posted already all over the net. About 50 guys on the Les Paul forum have bought them and the raves continue. Peformance/cost ratio is outstanding.

I'll let you all know.

Dan
Mercury Magnetics came out with a kit: Power Trannie and Filter Choke, Output Trannie. It ain't cheap. If I read their blurb correctly, they throw in a few parts.

Sounds as if it's the entire amp. By the time you're done, you'll have the case, power cord, jack, and switch. Lots of different ways to build an amp from scratch 8)

Cheers,
Thom
|Galibier Design
| ... crafting technology in service of music
| http://www.galibierdesign.com/
|__________________________________________
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Hi all, the MM mod kit seems awfully expensive. For that price, I'd buy three heads, mod them, sell two and have one rockin' head for free.

Allyn

I have one that absolutely rocks! I brought it back to the store I bought it from enduring some chuckles from the owner who knows I build amps. I had a little semi circle around me as I demoed the modded amp next to the original. Jaws were on the ground. The mods I used were Richies mods who always seems to have the goods! :D
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Can you give me a hint on where these mods are posted? I'm full up with the work on my ODS right now but the epiphone is in my sights for the next project.

Thanks
Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I assume it's the 18watt site
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Check 18watt.com I had a HD crash last month and lost most of my schematics...including this one. Richie may still have it if you PM him.

Allyn