Royale Reverb plan

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bob-I

Royale Reverb plan

Post by Bob-I »

As a follow-up to the reverb post, here's the schematic and layout I drew up for this chassis. There may be some mistakes, I haven't spent the time to double check it for the third time.

The idea is to use Steve Aloha's Tweed hot rod schematic plus add the ECL82 reverb. I'll use push pull pots for some of the switching.

Here's Steve's schematic

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/blu ... t_bms9.pdf

Comments welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skyboltone

Re: Royale Reverb plan

Post by skyboltone »

What's up with the cathode follower into the tone stack? Usually CF is for a low impedence following stage. Does this help make the tone stack more effective?
Not a critique, just a dumb question.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

skyboltone wrote:What's up with the cathode follower into the tone stack? Usually CF is for a low impedence following stage. Does this help make the tone stack more effective?
Not a critique, just a dumb question.

Dan
That's from the Tweed Bassman 5F6-A. I prevents TS loading.
Normster

Post by Normster »

That's gonna be a sweet amp, Bob. Based on the layout, I suspect you're going to have a real blues machine.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Normster wrote:That's gonna be a sweet amp, Bob. Based on the layout, I suspect you're going to have a real blues machine.
That's the plan....

I'm thinking of using a Weber 50 watt Marshall OT. I'm having difficulty finding the right PT though. I's not a through the chassis mount so it needs to be a standup xformer. Suggestion?
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Bob-I wrote: That's the plan....

I'm thinking of using a Weber 50 watt Marshall OT. I'm having difficulty finding the right PT though. I's not a through the chassis mount so it needs to be a standup xformer. Suggestion?
Bob, I used a standard horizontal mount transformer mounted on standoffs above the chassis deck with the wires led through a rubber grommet. Saved a bunch of real estate.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

skyboltone wrote:Bob, I used a standard horizontal mount transformer mounted on standoffs above the chassis deck with the wires led through a rubber grommet. Saved a bunch of real estate.
I was thinking of doing that, but I'm trying to avoid changes to this chassis, other than small holes for xformer mounting. It has 2 large holes for wires that I wanted to use.

Maybe a Marshall replacement. Thx
stoo

Post by stoo »

I've seen Cathode resistors bypassed with capacitors but what's the affect of having a resistor in series with a bypass cap?
Stew
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

stoo wrote:I've seen Cathode resistors bypassed with capacitors but what's the affect of having a resistor in series with a bypass cap?
Stew
The cutoff frequency of the ckt is a factor of resistance and capacitance. The series resistor reduces the effect of the cap.