From a Peavey Classic-30...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

titanicslim

From a Peavey Classic-30...

Post by titanicslim »

...what can be made?

I started this thread on the 18 Watt website but soon realized that this is the place I really need to present it. When my lead man offered me the amp, I started thinking about what I could "flip" it into, and more and more I'm thinking either a Liverpool or a DC-30

Any thoughts?

Dave
The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists in the circulation of the blood. - Logan Pearsall Smith (1865 - 1946)
rfgordon

Re: From a Peavey Classic-30...

Post by rfgordon »

Here on Blue Guitar is more info on modding a Classic 30 than you probably ever wanted.

http://blueguitar.org/articles.htm

If you've got space for the controls, then you could probably make a nice DC30 version. Check out the DC30 layout on ceriatone.com
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I have a Classic 30 chassis and cabinet. The awkward thing about this amp is that the controls are directly above the tubes. At times the interaction has been a problem for me so be careful on your layouts.
titanicslim

Post by titanicslim »

Bob-

At this point the plan is to gut the whole works and just use the tubes and trannies (expensive stuff) and put a new board into the existing chassis and cabinet. I've had a full apprenticeship in a machine shop and am not afraid of drilling holes :P

RF-

I've been going to bed at night staring at the CeriaTone DC-30 layout for a few months 8) and that will almost certainly be what I go for on this project!

Dave
The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists in the circulation of the blood. - Logan Pearsall Smith (1865 - 1946)
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

titanicslim wrote:Bob-

At this point the plan is to gut the whole works and just use the tubes and trannies (expensive stuff) and put a new board into the existing chassis and cabinet. I've had a full apprenticeship in a machine shop and am not afraid of drilling holes :P

RF-

I've been going to bed at night staring at the CeriaTone DC-30 layout for a few months 8) and that will almost certainly be what I go for on this project!

Dave
Looks very cool, in fact I might be tempted to get a board from them and install it in the Classic 30.

One issue with the Classic 30 PT is that it doesn't have a 6V tap. I added a filiment xformer to make life easier, I don't like serial heaters.
titanicslim

Post by titanicslim »

Bob

Actually, this "serial heater" thing is a new concept for me, unless you're talking about oatmeal. :wink: Yes, I'm sure I will get a 6v trans. for that.

For the time being I'll be making my own board, although Nik will be getting some business from me as soon as the Honda is paid off. :cry: I love this stuff, but I've been neglecting the work that makes my living, hence less disposable income for high-voltage toys. It's a vicious cycle! :P
Dave
krash

Post by krash »

-josh
--
Revelation Guitar Amplifiers
http://www.revelationamps.com
titanicslim

Post by titanicslim »

Hey, Josh- Thanks a million :!:

That will be a big help! :D

Dave
krash

Post by krash »

FWIW I think a Liverpool could be a good idea but it's going to be REAL bright with that open-back combo cabinet. Maybe a Rocket would be a better TW amp circuit to put in there, or a 36W TMB like I started with (sounds good as long as you CRANK it). Or just about any TMB type amp will work in there as long as you don't have a dozen gain stages.
-josh
--
titanicslim

Post by titanicslim »

Josh

I've been thinking for some time of doing something like a DC-30 or Liverpool with 6V6s (octal EL84s as Z-Phil calls them). If I get the mix of growly, "creamy distortion" with definition, dynamics and touch sensitivity, I could make old jaded pickers drop their jaws and buy me expensive imported beer at the club. Well, hope springs eternal. :P
krash

Post by krash »

Well you'll have a tough time getting 6V6's in the Classic 30. You'll obviously have to use a unibit or something to open up a coupla holes. The PT with a SS rect only will make about 360V or so DC for B+ so that's not really very ideal for 6V6's I guess... although didn't the TW's run the plate voltages pretty low?

If you approach it as just a donor for chassis, cabinet, and [some] iron then you can build just about anything with it. Whether it sounds good is up to you :)
-josh
--
titanicslim

Post by titanicslim »

Josh

How is your conversion coming along? Any clips yet?

The CL-30 arrives today and I'll start the cutting and pitching process :twisted: How do you think it'd go with a 36watt EF86? I wonder how different that would be from the DC-30. This is exciting! Kind of like the prospect of corrupting an innocent young girl from Mississippi. Taking her to Milton Keynes and teaching her to... ROCK :P

Dave