Noob Question about a pilot lamp

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

T-diddy

Noob Question about a pilot lamp

Post by T-diddy »

Im new to this forum as well as new to tube amp building. Heres my question, I have 2 secondary heater filament wires running off of my Toroidal power supply. I want to run one set of heater filament wires to run the heater filaments of my tubes, and the other set to run a pilot lamp. The heaters from the power supply are rated at 6.3V @ 3 amps. The pilot lamp I have is rated at 6.3V @ .25 amps. Does the discrepancy in amperage matter or will the pilot lamp just draw whatever current it needs? I just dont want to blow my pilot lamp.
Thanks in advance
Whale Meat.....Its whats for dinner.
Doctordog

Re: Noob Question about a pilot lamp

Post by Doctordog »

Hello,

At last! A question I can help with. ( I think).

Yes the pilot lamp will only use what it needs. The 3A rating on the power transformer is for how much current it can produce safely. So, you are ok loading it UP TO 3A. Even with that there is usually a little wiggle room.

JB
T-diddy

Post by T-diddy »

Doctordog wrote:Hello,

At last! A question I can help with. ( I think).

Yes the pilot lamp will only use what it needs. The 3A rating on the power transformer is for how much current it can produce safely. So, you are ok loading it UP TO 3A. Even with that there is usually a little wiggle room.

JB
Ok great! another question.....I am using a Fender Style lamp holder.....It has 2 contacts....Im guessing that the heater wires will go to these 2 contacts and that orientation (which wire goes to which contact) doesnt matter?
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

it does not matter because its AC
T-diddy

Post by T-diddy »

Milkmansound wrote:it does not matter because its AC
Hey thanks everybody for the help! :D