Dirty Boy amps?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rfgordon

Dirty Boy amps?

Post by rfgordon »

A couple of years ago I went to the Clapton Crossroads festival in Dallas, TX, and at the gear sale I saw a Dirty Boy amp. I think these were made by Blues Saraceno's dad, but he only made a few. I've read a bit on them, and, if I have the concept right, the output tubes go into a tranny designed to saturate, then the signal goes into another transformer, into a second set of output tubes, an OT then the speaker cab.

Anyone ever seen any kind of designs like this? I think the notion is that it can be a cranked amp within a not--so--cranked amp.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
dehughes

Re: Dirty Boy amps?

Post by dehughes »

rfgordon wrote:A couple of years ago I went to the Clapton Crossroads festival in Dallas, TX, and at the gear sale I saw a Dirty Boy amp. I think these were made by Blues Saraceno's dad, but he only made a few. I've read a bit on them, and, if I have the concept right, the output tubes go into a tranny designed to saturate, then the signal goes into another transformer, into a second set of output tubes, an OT then the speaker cab.

Anyone ever seen any kind of designs like this? I think the notion is that it can be a cranked amp within a not--so--cranked amp.
That sounds like a Guytron...

http://www.guytron.com/
Tempus edax rerum