Need a new multimeter.. which one?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

phannattic

Need a new multimeter.. which one?

Post by phannattic »

Hey all,

I want to get a new mulitmeter to replace my beat up one, any suggestions on a model or brand that isn't super expensive?

I'll primarly use it for amp/electronics work, I have an old sunpro i use for all automotive stuff.

Thanks in advance fellas.
Bob-I

Re: Need a new multimeter.. which one?

Post by Bob-I »

For amp work I don't feel that accuracy is as important as price since we pretty much use 5% tolerance components. I recently bought a cap meter from these folks, works fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-1-2-LCD-Multimete ... dZViewItem
skyboltone

Re: Need a new multimeter.. which one?

Post by skyboltone »

If you are going to use Ebay, (recommended) don't neglect the bench style meters. There are hundreds of these available at any given time from liquidators. Little electronic start ups go belly up every day and the bank brings in these guys to sort out the assets. Read the discriptions carefully to make sure you get all the functions you need. Select anything from Fluke or HP. Typically these things are turned on when you get them and left powered up more or less forever. I got an HP does everything meter with a nice lead kit for $30

YMMV
Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.