Scope and sine wave signal question

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

surfsup

Scope and sine wave signal question

Post by surfsup »

I am running a 1khz sine wave through my DAW out to a reamp box, then I have a 1/4 cable with a clip on the ground and tip connected to my scope.

The signal displayed in the Reaper software is a perfect sine wave.

The signal on my scope is not a sine wave. It looks like there is some sort of other signal on top of it that is distorting it due to a sum of the waveforms. the "F" shows 5.8MHz when I am running a 1kHz signal into it.

My scope manual unfortunately is in Taiwanese or something, with no English version supplied. Coupling is AC, Probe is 1x, Scope is 1x. I metered the probe with the built in square wave and it shows up perfectly.

Any hints for me?
fperron_kt88

Re: Scope and sine wave signal question

Post by fperron_kt88 »

Hello surfsup,

If you could post a snapshot of what you see, it would be easier to help you out with this.

It you can also post the scope brand and model number, that would help a lot to guide you through basic setup for a 1kHz sine.

When you listen to this wave through a speaker, do you have the impression that it is a pure tone or do you hear distortion in any form?

Older analog scopes generally don't have filters on the vertical channels. But yours might be different...

However, you could try fiddling with a few things just to clarify where the problem is...

To me, a sine is a sine, you should see it on the scope without the problems you are mentionning. A little artifacts from the DAW could be perceptible, but not if the level is set to something reasonable (-6dBm for example) and certainly not at the frequency you are using...

Is the power cord of the scope connected to the same outlet your DAW is powered from ?

Good luck!
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Ok I figured it out. I had Reaper sending the signal out post fader. I switched to pre-Fader and all is well...
fperron_kt88

Post by fperron_kt88 »

boy was I out of line with my ideas! :oops:

glad you found it!
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Scope is an Atten ADS 1102CAL

Is the power cord of the scope connected to the same outlet your DAW is powered from ?

I was thinking that already: the scope, PC, amp, all of it is on the same power strip in a wall outlet. Although there is some noise in the waveform now, its working good. I'll get a three prong extention later.

So, I can see the signal! GS1 and GS2 are nice since waves. At GS3, with full signal you can really see the top fo the waveform clipped. Very cool. I can use the reamp dial to bring the signal down, then up, and it shows the waveform getting squashed, which is interesting to see the level where that happens. I have a cap in line with the signal to the grid like the liverpool. With the signal pretty hot, before the cap:

[img:800:479]http://chicagocadcam.com/ChrisHahn/xen10/GS3_0.jpg[/img]

After the cap:

[img:800:479]http://chicagocadcam.com/ChrisHahn/xen10/GS3.jpg[/img]
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

Surfsup,

How do you like that Atten scope? Anyone else here have one? My scope crashed and burned and I'm looking for a replacement.
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Well so far i like it. I found an english pdf for it as well. I got it $350 new. Supposedly can do screen shots into memory or external usb. Has some software but i havent installed it yet. Only had it powered for a couple hours and its my first scope, so i'm not the best guy to ask.

So far i've been running a 1khz sine signal thru my pc into the amp to test. Came with two probes. Both 1x and 10x. There are settings that are 1x, 5x 10x, 50x and 100x on the scope but dont think i'll need that.

It weighs 2 or 3lbs, is about 14in wide, 4-5in deep, big screen, boots quickly...so it doesnt take much space.