shoe goo inside an amp ?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pula58

shoe goo inside an amp ?

Post by pula58 »

I was thinking of putting something between two electrolytics to keep them from vibrating.

Also, I have an old fender brownface amp and I would like to put in a trim pot to make the bias adjustable and feel that a little bit of glue/goop might be nice to keep the pot attached to the biard (i.e., in addition to the wiring).

Is "Shoe Goo" safe (in terms of flammability) inside an amplifer?

What do you guys/gals use for this purpose?

Thanks!

PAul
selloutrr

Re: shoe goo inside an amp ?

Post by selloutrr »

If you aren't going to drill a hole for the bias pot it's always going to have the possiblity of breaking free and shorting out. I've seen people use hot glue, model glue, super glue, double stick tape. All of these I have also seen break free. I would consider using a trimmer rotary pot and soldering at least one leg onto the board to hold it in place. The same could be done with a standard potentiomenter and turret strip. Then bolt the grounding lug to the chassis using an existing bolt.

Bottom line if it's not secure it can cause problems
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
PWE Amplification

Post by PWE Amplification »

Shoo goo will work but it is extremely sticky and it will run. Use a bead of silicone instead. It stays where you put it and can be separated from the cap much easier if future removal is necessary.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

some silicone is conductive becareful to not cover leads you don't want to electrically touch. It's probably a good idea to let a blob dry and test it for continuity before you install it. Also some silicone/adhesives are acidic and can damage parts over time.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Structo

Post by Structo »

I would use epoxy.
Just be sure to clean both surfaces well before gluing, and roughing up the area with some 220 paper would also be wise.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hmm...epoxy or silicone? In my experience, epoxy gets soft when the temperature rises. Whether it continues to hold is another matter.

I think the hi-temp silicone you get in the auto parts store is not going to get soft. I don't think it's quite as sticky as epoxy but probably sticky enough. Use sparingly.

I don't think I'd want to apply either to a trim pot. See if you can figure a way to make a mechanical bond to something on the board, then maybe a dab of silicone to stabilize it.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

If you go with silicone, try to get the silicone without the acetic acid. Its vapors can cause corrosion in copper in a sealed environment where they cannot escape. I'm not sure if this is really as issue in typical guitar amps (which are not completely air tight), but better safe than sorry, me thinks.
Diablo1

Post by Diablo1 »

I've used shoe-goo to hold down some electrolytics. It's hella strong and isn't going anywhere. I use it on high-vibration model planes with big gasoline motors too. Make a test piece on your bench, glue it up, let it dry and try to get it apart a day later.....good luck.
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

I've been known to use automotive weatherstripping adhesive.

rd
Blind Lemon

Post by Blind Lemon »

I have used the household shoe goo and E6000 both work great and skin over very quick.

YMMV

BL
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

selloutrr wrote: It's probably a good idea to let a blob dry and test it for continuity before you install it. .
Blobinuity.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.