bruno cowtipper schematic

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cbass

Re: bruno cowtipper schematic

Post by cbass »

Perhaps he was looking to add some capacitance there.
jelle

Post by jelle »

The only thing this accomplishes is inductance. And serious Ooga Booga... must be Ooga Booga! :lol:
cbass

Post by cbass »

You're right(Of course) I was thinking twisted pairs
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I don't care for the bias pot apparently held only by its lil' legs - that's looking for trouble.
topbrent wrote:The mighty Bruno Cowtippers in all of their glory....

Certainly not the cleanest builds out there in the boutique world.

[img:768:576]http://ampspecs.com/drobovje/Bruno/Cowt ... ircuit.jpg[/img]
[img:836:400]http://ampspecs.com/drobovje/Bruno/Cowt ... 993247.jpg[/img]
tag101

Post by tag101 »

Not sure about the pics or schematics, but I have owned a Bruno cowtipper 22, 35 and 45 at the same time as a killer 65 Super reverb, 65 Pro reverb and vibrolux. (Also had an amazing Bruno 3/10 UG30) The Cowtippers simply ate the fenders up, and I sold all the Fenders. The cowtippers have slightly more mids, much fatter on the top E and B strings, and hold together in the bottom end better. This is coming from a Fender fanatic. I put each through the others speakers, and put them all through a 4/12 loaded with G12h30s as well for my comparisons. Bruno amps sound amazing, and his early EL34 Dumble clones are as good as anything I have heard besides the Quinns and a few killer Tworocks. His Bulldog 45 also ate up 2 Trainwrecks in side by side comparisons at Ultrasound. Less buzzy on the top, and cleaned up better rolling the volume down. Even the bulldogs which are not designed specifically for cleans have great clean tones. The Cowtippers and his Tweedy pie 35s have simply the best clean tones i have ever heard. Killer amps! :D

[IMG:559:360]http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL438/64 ... 675464.jpg[/img]

[IMG:608:400]http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL438/64 ... 675463.jpg[/img]
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

That second pic in that second batch is the prototype with the easybake option. Looks like the icing dispenser might need tweaking.
rp

Post by rp »

Looks like CBS late silverfaces that someone upchucked on. I have heard bands live w/ Bruno's and they did sound fantastic. Tag101, you ever look inside? Do they really look that bad?
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

yes they look like that. i've got a whole set of pics from an owner that bought his new and they look just like these. he uses pacific transformers, btw. rh
Structo

Post by Structo »

rp wrote:Looks like CBS late silverfaces that someone upchucked on. I have heard bands live w/ Bruno's and they did sound fantastic. Tag101, you ever look inside? Do they really look that bad?
Yes, the clips I have heard of the Bruno's usually sound very good.

I just don't get why the guts look so horrible?

If you are not mechanically inclined you probably shouldn't build amps. :lol:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
tag101

Post by tag101 »

rp wrote:Looks like CBS late silverfaces that someone upchucked on. I have heard bands live w/ Bruno's and they did sound fantastic. Tag101, you ever look inside? Do they really look that bad?
First off, the pics of the S100 that are around the net are bogus. The amp was modded by someone else, and the pics were posted on the net by a very jealous competitor. (Yes, I know who it was) This was looked into on TGP, and the poster was told he had to remove the pics. (Its the pics with the Blue goop all over the place)
Mine were very nice. I posted pics of the insides on TGP and some "techs" commented. ( Wanna be builders. Like they know what sounds and works better than Bruno does) :lol: I talked to Tony one time, and he laughed at the criticism. His amps hold up extremely well. I had a problem with one (A bad reverb tank) and Ultrasound offered to lend me another while it was being repaired. It took 5 days to repair it and get it back to me. Great service as long as you buy new. My UG 30 was a very old one. Worked like a charm for the 4-5 years I had it. One other thing, the bruno amps have the best reverbs I have ever heard. Cavernous sounding. Actually, some SF amps have reverbs that are just as good. The silver face Vibro I owned was one of them. Unreal how great that reverb sounded, and I have a Princeton reverb now that has a reverb that sounds very much like Brunos. If he is using the same circuits, he is doing SOMETHING to make them sound very different. There is far more than looking at a schematic as you guys know. Listen to 2-3 guys build on a specific D style amp circuit. They sound completely different!! :shock:
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
tag101

Post by tag101 »

Structo wrote:
Yes, the clips I have heard of the Bruno's usually sound very good.

I just don't get why the guts look so horrible?

If you are not mechanically inclined you probably shouldn't build amps. :lol:

Tell that to Vox who could have hired anyone in the world they wanted to design their special amps, and took Tony Bruno. :wink:
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
tag101

Post by tag101 »

VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
topbrent

Post by topbrent »

Tag, it is obvious you are a fanboi of Bruno amps, which is fine. However, the chassis pictures that have been posted are of several different amps, not just one isolated build/prototype.

Whether (or not) the amps sound fantastic is not in question. The the issue most have, is that the Bruno Cowtipper amps just aren't as cleanly built as one would expect/demand at that price point/hype point.
dealer: allparts, weber, antique electronic supply
tag101

Post by tag101 »

topbrent wrote:Tag, it is obvious you are a fanboi of Bruno amps, which is fine. However, the chassis pictures that have been posted are of several different amps, not just one isolated build/prototype.

Whether (or not) the amps sound fantastic is not in question. The the issue most have, is that the Bruno Cowtipper amps just aren't as cleanly built as one would expect/demand at that price point/hype point.
Thats cool if you buy one to open it up and stare into it. :wink: Bruno builds amps for musical purposes, and they simply do not break down very often. I have been lucky enough to put his amps (and he makes all different styles) against almost all the major "booteek" builders versions out there. In every instance his amps are at the very least, on par with anything you can find, and in most cases, sonically superior. I do not own a single Bruno amp right now ( I do have an early stand alone Bruno Fender reverb clone) but I will always stand up for someone who makes so many different amps that sound THAT good. I have probably played 50 different Bruno amps, and with the exception of one custom built chainsaw sounding thing (thats what the guy wanted), everyone has been off the hook great. Bottom line, if you want to open an amp up and stare at it, maybe stay away from SOME brunos. If you want to play music with a killer sounding amp thats not going to break down on you, a Bruno is one of the best choices you have.
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I'll make my own judgement as to whether a particular amp is superior.

Also, we know that Bruno has had some very poor looking amp builds and we know that Bruno has some major players using his amps.

So we're not going to get any where arguing that point are we.

Mark