bruno cowtipper schematic

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: bruno cowtipper schematic

Post by Reeltarded »

Even the instruments themselves. Beaters got that way somehow.

:)
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Reeltarded wrote:Even the instruments themselves. Beaters got that way somehow.

:)
But they didn't sound good because they got beat; they got beat because sounded good (which I think you were saying). Buddy of mine had a music store and took in trade a late 60's strat that was the ugliest thing you ever saw BUT THE SOUND! Gotta be like Mike Detemple's Strat: you can't explain why it was so great, it just was. (Actually, Mike did figure out why.)
cxx

Post by cxx »

The only people who really care about the neatness of the build are people building amps. Not sure the people building amps are buying amps from other people building amps. For musicians its the sound and whether it will hold up. All the other concerns are for amp techs to worry about.

I talked with one guy building amps who wondered why a well build amp at a cost that allowed him to build it wasn't enough. He really didn't understand the perspective of his customers.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Most customers are cheap and they will go through half a dozen cheap amps instead of buying a quality amp. I know it's hard to gather the cash for a large purchase but people need to buy quality no throw away junk.

Mark
HiGain

Post by HiGain »

I have played cowtippers and thought they sounded fuller and warmer than vintage fenders. But I think that comes from the cabinets and some subtle layout and component type tweaks. Though I wouldnt say the bruno fender clones sound "better", I do believe TB has a good ear and has spent a lot of time experimenting with subtle changes. (I stil prefer my own tweaked fenders of course!)

I had a chance to look in a tweedie pie for a couple weeks, and I can say that that was a minorly tweaked bassman.

Jake
PaisleyTube

Post by PaisleyTube »

any info on the transformers?
Chris
Love, peace & loudness!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

HiGain wrote:I have played cowtippers and thought they sounded fuller and warmer than vintage fenders. But I think that comes from the cabinets and some subtle layout and component type tweaks. Though I wouldnt say the bruno fender clones sound "better", I do believe TB has a good ear and has spent a lot of time experimenting with subtle changes. (I stil prefer my own tweaked fenders of course!)

I had a chance to look in a tweedie pie for a couple weeks, and I can say that that was a minorly tweaked bassman.

Jake
so what were the tweaks? Anything interesting?

Oh, and I'm calling BS on the wire routing having anything to do with the superior tone. In a Wreck, yes, or maybe if the layout was radically different than a Fender, but not something low gain like this that looks pretty typical.
HiGain

Post by HiGain »

I will post a schematic when I get a chance.

Regarding lead dress... I'm not so sure. I know that layout around the power tubes affects ghost notes in my fenders, and that moving around signal wires in the preamp affects ice pickiness and the midrange character in my fenders as well. At least IMHO.

I will admit it doesn't look like Bruno puts much care into lead dress but whose to say he doesn't move things around a bit.

Best,

Jake
PaisleyTube

Post by PaisleyTube »

and what kind/brand of pots?
Chris
Love, peace & loudness!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

HiGain wrote:I will post a schematic when I get a chance.

Regarding lead dress... I'm not so sure. I know that layout around the power tubes affects ghost notes in my fenders, and that moving around signal wires in the preamp affects ice pickiness and the midrange character in my fenders as well. At least IMHO.

I will admit it doesn't look like Bruno puts much care into lead dress but whose to say he doesn't move things around a bit.

Best,

Jake
Thanks, Jake. Yeah, I agree with you about stray capacitance, unwanted (wanted?) coupling, etc. But you put what I meant more clearly - that it's clear that he doesn't seem to care much about wire routing, and that it silly to think that is what makes his amps sound better/different than some vintage Fenders. Anyone whose messed with these circuits knows changing the value of a cap here or there causes a much more significant change than pushing wires around. As always, YMMV.
HiGain

Post by HiGain »

Sounds good to me!

Here's the tweedy pie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

here's my buddies cowtipper. as stated before, he uses pacific transformers. also the reverb tone control is the one from the dave funk book, essentially tacking in the 6g15 tone control; and a treble cap "boost" sw.---ala diaz, dumble, etc. rh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tag101

Post by tag101 »

HiGain wrote:I have played cowtippers and thought they sounded fuller and warmer than vintage fenders. But I think that comes from the cabinets and some subtle layout and component type tweaks. Though I wouldnt say the bruno fender clones sound "better", I do believe TB has a good ear and has spent a lot of time experimenting with subtle changes. (I stil prefer my own tweaked fenders of course!)

Jake
The cabinet question really interested me, and is why I played them all through each others, as well as a neutral cabinet. Each Cowtipper I had, posessed the same sonic variations from fenders. Fatter sounding (due to more mids I think, and where the name Cowtipper came from I believe. "Beefy enough to tip a cow") just as much treble, but its softer on the ears and not as thin, tighter bass, and a deeper sounding reverb. I lowned my Cowtipper to FlyingV blues from TGP who has a really nice collection of vintage fenders, and is a fender freak like myself. This was a head only pictured below. He had it for a month or so, and did not want to give it back. He said he found exactly the same things when A/Bing it with all of his fenders that I did. Oddly, he had a cowtipper himself, and he said he really dug it, but it always felt stiff to him. I had never felt ANY Cowtipper like that before, and is why I let him try mine.

The tweedy pie I speak of is the 35 watt dual rectified version. Supposedly that (Dual rec bassman) is Tonys all time favorite Fender. The 18 watters are cool little amps, but I am not in love with them.

[IMG:709:400]http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1427/1 ... 711744.jpg[/img][/img]
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

rhinson wrote:here's my buddies cowtipper. as stated before, he uses pacific transformers. also the reverb tone control is the one from the dave funk book, essentially tacking in the 6g15 tone control... rh
Is the tone control you're describing look like what the OP posted with the additional 500pf cap?
HiGain

Post by HiGain »

Here's another pic I found on the web. Looks very similar the circuit in the schematic...