How about a subforum for woodworking?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

greekie

How about a subforum for woodworking?

Post by greekie »

Hi guys,

I recently started tinkering with making my own cabs, as I know many of you do here. Ordering the cabs in my part of the world is around $800 for a head + 2x12", but I calculated that the materials would be just $250. So I am ready to give it a go, as I am pretty handy and I've done some woodworking before.

This leads me to the question: should TAG have a separate woodworking subforum, just like the "Dumble Discussion", "Dumble Files", etc.?

It seems to me that, although the plans for the heads, cabs, etc. differ, the techniques in making them are basically the same. And newbies like I would benefit a lot from having the information in one place, with the conversation based specifically on woodworking.

Tell me what you think.
statorvane

Re: How about a subforum for woodworking?

Post by statorvane »

Depending on what you want to do, you can learn a lot about finishing wood at www.reranch.com/reranch
Structo

Post by Structo »

greekie,

It helps other members help you better if you put your location in your profile.

Where are you located?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

I would welcome a woodworking forum if the mods deemed it so. I love working with wood, and I have a few machines, though in my current location, I don't have enough space to set them up, so they're in storage for now.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
greekie

Post by greekie »

There we go!

What I was thinking, was a subforum where we could share build experiences, plans, designs, etc. - in the TAG-spirit. I do enjoy the culture of this forum, which is why I think the subforum would be great here.

It's worth considering. I'm not as big a contributor to this enormous knowledge base as some of the veterans. But I hope to add something soon about cabinet building, from a newbie's point of view.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Lumberjocks.com has tons of good forums for wood working. They have like 40k members, its no joke, they have newsletters and all this crazy stuff. Its gotta be a big job running that forum. I've learned a lot over there, not much about building amp cabinets, but its all the same.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
tooold

Post by tooold »

Lumberjocks is great, I'm a member there, but as you said, not much on amp/cab stuff.

I went through a year of building a bunch of cabinets, and they all came out pretty well (at least I think so) :wink: The last were better than the first. It's not that complicated, really, if you're used to working with wood... until you start doing angles and cutouts and the like.

The main issue I had is that it's virtually impossible to put a dado blade on a European table saw (they're illegal... too dangerous... you could put your eye out... but enshrined in law :roll: ) which makes doing finger/box joints very tough if you're too cheap to spring for a router jig. Ahem.

There are lots of tolex tutorials out there (one stickied here, in fact) and that's a matter of experience - do one or two and it's pretty simple.

So, I'm not sure if there's enough to warrant a separate forum, even though I'd love it.

http://www.mylescochran.com
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

tooold wrote:The main issue I had is that it's virtually impossible to put a dado blade on a European table saw (they're illegal... too dangerous... you could put your eye out... but enshrined in law :roll: ) which makes doing finger/box joints very tough if you're too cheap to spring for a router jig. Ahem.
No, you just need to do thinner fingers.

[img:307:320]http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/pi ... aperde.jpg[/img]

John
tooold

Post by tooold »

Cantplay wrote:
tooold wrote:The main issue I had is that it's virtually impossible to put a dado blade on a European table saw (they're illegal... too dangerous... you could put your eye out... but enshrined in law :roll: ) which makes doing finger/box joints very tough if you're too cheap to spring for a router jig. Ahem.
No, you just need to do thinner fingers.

[img:307:320]http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/~k-yazawa/pi ... aperde.jpg[/img]

John
Wow! :shock:

Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Sorry for you loss...ummm....laws.

I don't know if you can get the product on your side of the pond. The Keller dovetail jig is inexpensive, has no moving parts, and is virtually idiot proof. You can cut a perfect dovetail (or box) joint the first time you use it. Of course, if you can get it, it will be 2x what it costs in the states. You will still need a router to use it.

Well, ouch on the price. I see the 1500 (bottom of the line, I own it, very nice item) has about doubled in price since I bought mine.
http://www.kellerdovetail.com/
Pricing improves on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Keller-Dovetail-S ... B000022420
Sorry for the USA orientation on this. Not sure where you'd look for it.
Remember, the package includes two very high quality router bits.
tooold

Post by tooold »

Thanks for that. My secret weapon is that I'm American. :twisted: Well, actually, I'm from Kentucky, which is almost the same thing. :wink:

I'm over to visit my parents a couple of times a year, and usually bring my entire baggage allowance back in strange things - amps, transformers, caps, tools. So this'll fit right in.