Two clean channels in one amp

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wicker

Two clean channels in one amp

Post by wicker »

What do you think about this idea ? If you were to build this kind of amp, what would you choose ?
Paul
gingertube

Re: Two clean channels in one amp

Post by gingertube »

Paul,
Can't imagine what you want 2 clean channels for. Can you explain what you intend with it, then we may be able to offer sensible suggestions/alternatives.
Cheers,
Ian
wicker

Post by wicker »

Idea is quite simple, I really enjoy playing clean channel, more than overdriven channel. 2 differently voiced channels could be used as 'normal' tone and 'solo'. With two separate inputs, I could also put a booster/drive in front of one channel and get this nice breaking tone or switch back to second clean. Different tubes could be also used (ECC8x, EF86, 6SL7...).
Paul
jimmydweed

Post by jimmydweed »

Nice idea, I'm hoping to build something similar in a while. I'd probably try and go for a warm rounded channel (with slightly more gain) and a open glassy, second channel.
gingertube

Post by gingertube »

Well we start off being boring with one channel built to the ICON of clean - the Black Face Fender pre. For the second channel why not go for something entirely different, do you like country "twang" then maybe the preamp section from this:

Something else to look at for ideas is the Dumble front end with the switchable JFet buffer.

Cheers,
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
backpack

Post by backpack »

My uncle once built a brown face and black face in one amp. the first hole
had harrison on the first channell and the second was labeled clapton.
The amp was labeled pattie Boyd. The customer loved it.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

backpack wrote:My uncle once built a brown face and black face in one amp. the first hole
had harrison on the first channell and the second was labeled clapton.
The amp was labeled pattie Boyd. The customer loved it.
:D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I think it's a great idea.

I'd install some switches or relays to configure the output stage differently depending what channel your on (NFB, cathode/fixed bias, PI type, output tube type, etc.).
cpollack

Post by cpollack »

I've done this for years on old Fenders and use and old DOD A-B box for easy channel switching. A good example is my AB-165 Bassman which has a standard BF preamp plus the Bassman extra gain stage in the "normal" channel. I've tried some other things in the "Bass Instrument" channel. At one point I used the extra triode to make a Vox Top Boost preamp, but I didn't like it much with guitar in that amp and the speakers I use with it. It did sound very good with my Gibson EB-2DC bass, however. I'm thinking I'll try an Ampeg or Orange preamp with the Baxandall/James tone section next.

My Twin Reverb is set up with a standard BF preamp on the "Vibrato" channel and the "Normal" channel has the tone stack tweaked to play nice with my '70s Deluxe Big Muff. Using the A-B box with the Muff on the "Normal" side gives me three good, useable sounds at a tap of the toe.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Some of the brownface Fenders with two knob eq's are similarish to the Baxandall/James stack. Might (or might not) be a smoother graft into an otherwise Fender amp.
cpollack

Post by cpollack »

Good suggestion. I was thinking a blonde Showman preamp would be a contender, too. I've always liked those amps and have a surf & rockabilly jones.
ampfab

Post by ampfab »

Channel1- classic fender, blackface twin or super reverb
Channel2- matchless ef86 clubman
Of course if you really like clean, 4x 6l6gc power amp
Congress Park Amps
wicker

Post by wicker »

I've got already amp with 2x6L6GC clean with some D influence + reverb, great sounding but when you turn it over 12, in a apartment - unusable...I need bedroom amp with recording output, thinking about 2xECL82 (6BM8). Whole amp on PCB.
Paul
rp

Post by rp »

If you like playing clean try doing one side with a grid leak octal for V1 (see early tweed inputs) or for that matter a grid leak 9 pin though I never tried that so can't say. You'll get an sensitivity, immediacy and clarity you won't believe, not to be confused w/ bright ice pick either, just immediate and clear. It'll take 20 min to try and totally switchable the cathode bias inputs. I keep stating this here but no one listens :cry:
EtherealWidow

Post by EtherealWidow »

RP, what about doing a 12AX7 wired as a cascode grid-leak baised? Would something like that be possible? If so, what would that look like? The main cascode schematics I've found are off Weber's site. https://taweber.powweb.com/store/cascode_schem.jpg