Two clean channels in one amp

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wicker

Re: Two clean channels in one amp

Post by wicker »

Schematic shown below would be my major inspiration, the presence circuit has an error which should be corrected. This is in my opinion one of the best clean amps I've ever played, additionaly, I would add parallel second clean, maybe 6SL7 like in old fender amps, I'm not sure...grid-leak is interesting though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
Structo

Post by Structo »

How about a Blackface clean on one channel and a Plexi preamp on the other with adjustable gain?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
wicker

Post by wicker »

Not sure if I like Marshall type sound :?
Paul
rp

Post by rp »

EtherealWidow wrote:RP, what about doing a 12AX7 wired as a cascode grid-leak baised? Would something like that be possible? If so, what would that look like? The main cascode schematics I've found are off Weber's site. https://taweber.powweb.com/store/cascode_schem.jpg
That's beyond my pay grade. My only experience with g-l is in the simple low gain clones of early tweeds. I just understand the things I've tried, and even then I turn to TAG for answers. I'm sure someone here can chime in.

The grid leak set up gives a response that is very fast, sensitive and clear, I don't know where it comes from electronically, I don't think it's from extra gain, or if this extra sensitivity will cause instability when connected to further gain stages. I want to try it on my 5F6A to see how it sounds into a cathode follower but that amp is ptp and tight inside and hard to work on. But if you have an amp w/ a simple vinatge circuit you should try it straight up first - just the changes, .1 cap and 5M resistor, to V1. I gives a very different sound for very little effort and parts. My 5C8 with g-l on one side and cathode-bias on the other is like two different amps. If you play clean and straight in you really ought to try it.

I never looked closely at Weber's site I didn't know he had useful technical info.
EtherealWidow

Post by EtherealWidow »

The tweed grid leak octals look awesome, but for the sake of convenience I'd love to have one with a 12AX7. I love weber's site. Lots of simple schematics.
wicker

Post by wicker »

I will have a few Russian 6H9C (6SL7), beside, I have not decided what tubes use in overall (I have acquired a bunch of tubes recently - see photo + got one smaller box).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul