Dual preamp design, Fender/D-style

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Dual preamp design, Fender/D-style

Post by xtian »

I thought It might be interesting to blend a standard Fender preamp with a parallel D-style preamp. See outline, attached. Good idea or not?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
David Root

Re: Dual preamp design, Fender/D-style

Post by David Root »

How would you do the blending? I would think continuously variable, no? To find the sweet spot for each guitar/tune.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Yes, two volume pots in diagram, one for each channel, plus PPIMV master.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Are you going to use mixing resistors and send both channels to the same side of the LTP?

If you were to send each to separate sides of the LTP, I would expect them to be out of phase.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Yes, I plan to mix before the PI.

Right now I have only my imagination to go on--I've never played a D-style with those values on the first two triodes. Friend in town finally has an ODS (though Ceriatone) so I'll get to play it next week.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

I think this relates to your idea;
I've been wondering lately if it would be possible to just add an exclusive clean channel to an ODS, having an overdrive channel, including V1 and V2 as in a typical cascading ODS, and then having a separate clean channel with an added triode. Then you could have a clean channel that didn't affect the overdrive in a negative way, ie too bright and harsh.
Possible?
cxx

Post by cxx »

I'm not sure the post pi mv is the way to go. Might look at two regular MV one for each side. The ODS is preamp overdrive into a pretty clean power amp. The only place i can see the PPMV is for overdriving the fender side at lower volume.

You see some designs that share more tubes and switch in different pots, but that seems like overkill for a one off design.

I did build a BF fender style with the switchable ODS gain stage, which I like a lot. You can see why Dumble moved to the skyline tone stack though. Its a bit more versatile in shaping the low end.
pula58

Post by pula58 »

what is the skyline tone stack? The one with mids control with separate path to ground (separated from the bass control)?
cxx

Post by cxx »

pula58 wrote:what is the skyline tone stack? The one with mids control with separate path to ground (separated from the bass control)?
yes, you can see it in a lot of the dumble ODS schematics.