New TAD 6L6 WGC - anyone try these?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

funkgang49

New TAD 6L6 WGC - anyone try these?

Post by funkgang49 »

TAD 6L6WGC short bottles.
Just wanted to see if anyone has tried these tubes and if so what was your impression?
Structo

Re: New TAD 6L6 WGC - anyone try these?

Post by Structo »

I have used both the short and tall bottles from TAD.

I like them but I did have one short out a few years back.

For my D clone I like the tall STR's but make sure you have clearance in the cab before buying them.

Supposedly the short bottle 6L6 is a copy of the GE 6L6 and the tall bottle is the RCA version.

I used to prefer the Winged =C= 6L6 but the prices skyrocketed and apparently they have stopped production.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
jon

Post by jon »

I have the short bottles in my 6G6a Bassman clone and they rip. This is my only experience with TAD tubes.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

WGCs in Ceriatone Bluesmaster (alright I admitted it :oops: ) sound great here.
Niki
funkgang49

Post by funkgang49 »

I've never owned any TAD's - I saw an add in Premier Guitar for their 6L6wgc's and it piqued my interest.
I have a pair of Sylvania 6L6wgb/5881's and a single JAN-Phillips 6L6wgb. All sound great so I was wondering how these new productions compared.

Structo - I have a pair of Winged =C= 6L6's & EL34's which I purchased in the early 2000's. Both sound nice, very warm.
I am probably going to use them in my next build: Tweed Pro/5E5A preamp, LTP PI, Cathode Biased power, 5U4G/GB recto, VVR on power tube, 30-40 watts.
pula58

Post by pula58 »

I have an amp that I developed using the Winged-C's and it put out 40W before any visible clipping (on the o-scope). With a new set of the TAD 6L6GC-STR's I can only get 35W. I biased the TAD's at 20 Watt plate dissipation, same wattage as I had biased the Winged-C's

To me, it seems the TADS are not putting out as much power.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

I have a pair of them. I only briefly tried them in an amp which normally runs on 6V6s. The 6L6WGCs sounded excellent in that amp, very warm but yet with a lot of detail.