recommendations for tremolo+reverb build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

didit

recommendations for tremolo+reverb build

Post by didit »

I know about Weber's "ReVibe" kit but wondering if the collective wisdom has better alternatives for building a standalone tremolo+reverb unit. Suggested options will need to be reasonably straightforward. As close to "paint by number" since it will be a first build by a friend. We want him to succeed and without my being everpresent at his shoulder.

Thanks .. Ian
drew

Re: recommendations for tremolo+reverb build

Post by drew »

If I was going to build one of those, I'd skip the kit and buy just the chassis from Weber, and build the Hoffman version on a G10 turret board.

Unless your friend is one of those guys who builds ships in bottles, though, I doubt that this is going to be a good project for a beginner. Cramped chassis and fairly high parts count add up to lots of potential for error, frustration, and calls to you for assistance.
didit

Post by didit »

Yup. Agree the skills of a hand surgeon or similar would be good when building a ReVibe. I do like that Hoffman variant.

Basic reverb is pretty simple. Even the 6G15 is doable. What seems to me blowing it up is that 6G12 trem circuit. I was hoping someone has a pointer to a simpler tremolo based on wobbling at the cathode on an extra triode -- like a 50's tremolux or similar. Either on an active wet/dry mixing stage or perhaps at the triode before the reverb driver tube.

Thanks .. Ian
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Does the amp you will be using this thru have a effects loop?
Time based effects like reverb,chours and echo sound like crap when they get added in thru the front of the amp and then distored by latter stages.
Amps with built in effects add these in almost last, right before the power amp.
didit

Post by didit »

Hmm, that's more true for a higher gain amp.

A bit more background. He has a few amps but none with an effects loop. This includes both a 6G12a Concert and a 6G15 'verb. He recently latched onto a tremolo-less 5E9-ish amp I built by modifying a Mission 5E3 kit. This is a relatively clean amp with a warm distortion that comes in slow. Played it with his 6G15 running through it, which sounded great. To make space in his small studio he's now looking at unloading the Concert and 6G15. But for those moments when he'd still want trem' and/or 'verb adding a standalone seems the best solution. I suggested Billy Zoom's Little Kahuna, however he has the itch to build and that brought me here to ask.