whats the "best most robust" EL34 out there?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RCGPNY1

whats the "best most robust" EL34 out there?

Post by RCGPNY1 »

So...whats the closest thing to an old school Mullard EL34 these days?
iknowjohnny

Re: whats the "best most robust" EL34 out there?

Post by iknowjohnny »

I think most would agree it's the SED "winged C", but they stopped production and the price shot up on remaining stock. They're about double what they were at $80/pair, but i have tried every current production 34 out there except the mullard RI and none are as goo. Just keep going back the the SED. If money isn't much or a problem, i'd suggest trying them and if you feel the same, buy a bunch for future use.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

From the number of so-called reissue Mullards I've removed from ailing amps I'd have to say I'm not impressed except they do manage a pretty good copy of the logo. Far as I'm concerned they're Sovtek/EH tubes relabeled to justify a high price.

Though I haven't tried these yet I have been hearing good reports from Audio Asylum correspondents about the Gold Lion series. I haven't yet run across a guitar amp customer who's willing to pay the upcharge for these supposedly premium tubes. Deep-pocketed audiophiles though, will dig deep into their pockets to buy Gold Lions. Funny that Sovtek, EH, Mullard and Gold Lion are all made for and distributed by New Sensor.

I have been using a lot of Ruby EL34BSTR and EL34BHT. Not every one is perfect. Some make bonking clonking noises and occasionally one fizzles out early. But those that work, work well. Made by Shuguang.

You may also want to consider the KT77. I've used JJ's and found them to be very tough. They're also offered by Gold Lion. However - the KT77 is in all honesty a beam tetrode (KT = Kinkless Tetrode) not a pentode, and it may not be to your liking if overdriven for tone. '77's work extremely well in amps intended for clean power amp use - even if driven by distorted signals derived in the preamp - they are a rather 'hi fi' tube.

I've also used EH 6CA7. I'm not sure whether they're truly a pentode or beam tetrode. They do hold up in Music Man amps with 700V power supplies though. The only drawback I've heard with these is a clinky rattle sorta jingle bell noise that's very evident in combo amps, not so much in separate amp heads.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Some peeps like JJ's - to me they are hit or miss.
With a high percentage of miss.
Why Aye Man
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I really like JJ's I get the best tone using them and tried a bunch of other brand tubes. Very consistent. :)

Mark
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I have consistanly lost one out of each quad within a week (6CA7 JJ) if not DOA.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The groovetubes version of the JJ EL has been uprated to a 30, watt from its 25 watt rating by adding extra plate mass to its structure, heay wings as they call them.
Also a true 6CA7 plays different than a EL as its a beam type tube and as such in amps with out a feedback circuit you can really hear the ELs smoother change into clipping.
RCGPNY1

Post by RCGPNY1 »

I remember some amps "back in the day" using 6CA7's and thought they sounded less"Marshally"....and that's what I want to put it in. So it looks like the consensus is JJ's. I too haver had the experience of hit and miss with these. Out of 6 tubes I purchsed 2 were bad NIB. Iguess the idea is to have them tested and matched before purchase.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

RCGPNY1 wrote:So it looks like the consensus is JJ's. I too haver had the experience of hit and miss with these. Out of 6 tubes I purchsed 2 were bad NIB. Iguess the idea is to have them tested and matched before purchase.
There have been some lively discussions on Music Electronics Forum about this. One of the best suggestions was to get your JJ's from highly reliable dealers who test and match. Eurotubes in Oregon sell only JJ - their owner is Slovakian and a friend of JJ's top man in the home country. This may be an advantage. Mojo has also been mentioned as a reliable supplier/test/match dealer. There may be others but for JJ these two got positive mentions.
down technical blind alleys . . .
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

My very limited experience is that Winged C and Sovtek EL34 don't sound or perform anywhere close to the (well used) Mullards I've got.
They seem muffled, constricted and squishy. Maybe 10% lower output on the bench.
JJs are closer.
I've not tried any Chinese made EL34 yet.
Pete