Amp making popping sounds and noise?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

guitardude57

Re: Amp making popping sounds and noise?

Post by guitardude57 »

You did try swapping another V2?
Maybe bad bypass cap going into V2... or a lousy grid leak resistor for V2. I haven't seen the print on it... typical for some gain to get dumped there, maybe a bad value, or some such thing there.
Mike

I am never surprised and always amazed
67Mopar

Post by 67Mopar »

I tried V2 swap, but it had no effect. I'll do some more exploring tomorrow. I have 4 new tag boards en route from England. I'm going to build a set of boards using Takman CF resistors, and a set of stock boards using KOA Speer MF's. I smell a clone on the way...;)

Check out the McMurdo sockets... I was surprised when I saw that Cornford used outboard tube sockets. Powder coating as nice as this deserves some HQ inboard sockets. I also used low-profile truss head stainless fasteners for a sleeker look! :D

[IMG:1000:750]http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh536/soldanofan/DSCN2346copy_zpsa0439006.jpg[/img]
[IMG:1000:750]http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh536/soldanofan/DSCN2348copy_zpsbdf6b316.jpg[/img]
guitardude57

Post by guitardude57 »

Nice!
Mike

I am never surprised and always amazed
67Mopar

Post by 67Mopar »

I was doing another resistor change and socket upgrade on the amp anyway, so it was a 'good' time for it to happen. In the end, it was a dirty input! :oops: The input contacts are enclosed in a phenolic housing, so the Deoxit wasn't getting where it need to go. She's up and running now, and sounds amazing! :D
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

I hadn't seen this post before... but I had the same thing on my 800 2204 type build. I was thinking that we were concentrating too much on V2, when it could be anything before V2.
But ya, my low input was doing the same thing for like the last year and I finally put time in to figuring it out a few months ago. unplugging the cable would get it acting up. I started inputing signal (with guitar and a pedal and jumpers into different points i the circuit till I discovered right where it was.
I was on the road at the time without the contact cleaner, so I swapped the cliff jack with an unused speaker jack on the back panel and it fixed it.

It started acting up again yesterday, so I finally used some electrical contact cleaner on this one too. Seems unusual that they are so prone to this. I'm starting to dislike cliff jacks... unless it's something with my amp that makes it so prone to this. My preamp volume pot is pretty scratchy too.... maybe a DC leakage thing?
Anyways, congrats on the fix, and the sweet looking tube sockets!
darefugee

Post by darefugee »

Popping sounds and noise? My amp sounds like that too!

Oh wait, that's my playing...
Thanks,

Roger