So, what do I have here? And, What should I do with it?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

9-Pin

So, what do I have here? And, What should I do with it?

Post by 9-Pin »

I picked this up in a trade a year or so ago. The idea was to use what I could to build myself a nice little grab and go combo. The ad said ti was used for guitar, but I'm not so sure. With the long shafts on the pots, it almost looks like it was a radio. Seems like it used to be closed back as well. One speaker is a field coil speaker. What say you oh, wise TAG members?

Oh, and sorry if the pics aren't that great. I took them with my iPad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beasleybodyshop

Re: So, what do I have here? And, What should I do with it?

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Looks like it might have come out of an organ.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
cbass

Post by cbass »

I don't think that's a field coil speaker .it looks like the OT Is mounted on the speaker frame.
9-Pin

Post by 9-Pin »

cbass wrote:I don't think that's a field coil speaker .it looks like the OT Is mounted on the speaker frame.
Interesting. The ad when I traded said that one was a field coil, so I was just repeating what I was told.

Was it common at certain times or for certain uses to do this?
cbass

Post by cbass »

9-Pin wrote:
cbass wrote:I don't think that's a field coil speaker .it looks like the OT Is mounted on the speaker frame.
Interesting. The ad when I traded said that one was a field coil, so I was just repeating what I was told.

Was it common at certain times or for certain uses to do this?
I could be wrong it's hard for me to see the in pics.
But yes there a few old amps out there with the ot mounted on the speaker frame
cbass

Post by cbass »

i was wrong Looks like it is an fc speaker
menger66

Post by menger66 »

It looks like someone converted a old radio into a guitar or what ever amp long ago does it have a 3 prong plug? Does it work? what is the tube line-up? Even though it looks pretty rough you could strip it out and make a decent amp out of it. Those transformers on the speakers are pretty dinky for a 2 12 combo but with a new output transformer and a handful of parts you could turn that into a fender tweed deluxe. Its hard to say without knowning what tubes it ran. I just built a amp out of a old chassis just like that it even had the same old Mallory cardboard caps in it. mark
Tillydog

Post by Tillydog »

Well it definitely *was* a radio...

The big pulley is mounted on the tuning capacitor.
9-Pin

Post by 9-Pin »

menger66 wrote:It looks like someone converted a old radio into a guitar or what ever amp long ago does it have a 3 prong plug? Does it work? what is the tube line-up? Even though it looks pretty rough you could strip it out and make a decent amp out of it. Those transformers on the speakers are pretty dinky for a 2 12 combo but with a new output transformer and a handful of parts you could turn that into a fender tweed deluxe. Its hard to say without knowning what tubes it ran. I just built a amp out of a old chassis just like that it even had the same old Mallory cardboard caps in it. mark
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what the tube compliment was. It does not have a 3-prong plug. I have never powered it up and don't know when the last time it was used before I got it. I was kind of thinking that I would strip it and use what I could to build tweed deluxe like.

I really want to re-use the cabinet. It is cool western-tooled tolex. I totally dig it.
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

Tillydog wrote:Well it definitely *was* a radio...

The big pulley is mounted on the tuning capacitor.
That's what I was thinking too. I have a few very old tube radios and it looks very familiar.
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."