Tiny Wiggle board

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Smokebreak

Tiny Wiggle board

Post by Smokebreak »

Hey y'all, here's a layout and some pics for a tiny board 6G16 wiggle tremolo. It takes one dual triode and some space on a wall. I'm looking forward to sticking it in a Fender overdrive amp.

Tube layout wise, is there any reason the oscillator shouldn't be after the PI?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JMFahey

Re: Tiny Wiggle board

Post by JMFahey »

Cool :idea:
:D

Please post when you mount and test it.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Phazor

Post by Phazor »

Thats a cool board. One thing. For the Vibrato to work you need to bias the tubes on the cold side to leave room for the modulating bias. I've thought about this as a 2 stage bias level. Cold bias for tremolo on and hotter bias for no tremolo. It could be incorporated in 1 board with 2 stage bias. Just a thought. I've liked my 6G16 with hot bias for lead and what not but I bias it colder for the tremolo intensity to sound good instead. You could have both with a simple spst relay. Just another take on it.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

This is a good point Phazor, that I'd never really considered. I got to crank the amp last night, and while I'm biased at 65% or so idle, at full bore, the trem got washed out a bit.
I was also a bit surprised that a tube swap in the oscillator position affected the character of the trem. First I had a new JJ in there, and it provided some kinda nasty artifacts. Then I stuck in a 5751( just because it was right in front of me), and the quality got much better. Perhaps the gain difference was a factor also, though..