amp chassis, unpunched

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Rick

amp chassis, unpunched

Post by Rick »

I'm wondering if there is someone making custom blank chassis. Thanks for any info,

Rick
Last edited by Rick on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil_S

Re: amp chassis, unpunched

Post by Phil_S »

IMO, it's a cut throat business. You have to compete on price and materials, shipping, too. Do tell, what have you got in mind for your wares? Curious minds want to know. We all need a good quality, cost effective choice.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Phil_S wrote:IMO, it's a cut throat business. You have to compete on price and materials, shipping, too. Do tell, what have you got in mind for your wares? Curious minds want to know. We all need a good quality, cost effective choice.
I think you're right. With shipping, tooling, and materials going up in price like they are , I will just abandon the idea, maybe get a small brake good enough to make my own chassis for projects. I will edit the original comment if I can.
lord preset

Post by lord preset »

The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

Pretty reasonable prices and options here:

http://tubeamplifierparts.com/watts-store.html

Unless there are issues that I'm not aware of with this company? I've never purchased from them, but plan to soon.
Gene
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Rick wrote:
Phil_S wrote:IMO, it's a cut throat business. You have to compete on price and materials, shipping, too. Do tell, what have you got in mind for your wares? Curious minds want to know. We all need a good quality, cost effective choice.
I think you're right. With shipping, tooling, and materials going up in price like they are , I will just abandon the idea, maybe get a small brake good enough to make my own chassis for projects. I will edit the original comment if I can.
Oh no. I didn't mean to discourage. I was serious when I said we all need good source. Tell us your thoughts before you fold your tent. I was simply tempering your thinking. If you expect $75 for an unpunched chassis, that won't sell. I've got no idea what the tools cost, etc, and how many you need to bend just to break even. I was hoping you'd at least wait around for some feedback before killing off the idea.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I've used lots of chassis from Watts and like them a lot. They've recently gone up in price. Recommended.
JMFahey

Post by JMFahey »

Those seaside chassis are incredibly inexpensive.

Who can work for at least an hour for cutting/bending/drilling/bolting or screwing plus aluminum sheet cost plus tool amortization for $41?

That guy risks more and earns less than working at local Mc D :shock:

Only way to be justified is that he makes, say, 20 chassis in a workday (in series, not one off) and sells them all; otherwise.

Believe me, I make my own, have all the machinery, and know cost and time.

And it's worth for my own amps, would never sell bare or punched chassis for such low prices.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Yup, I've used lots of Watts chassis, and I like them a lot. His have 1/4" nuts. Now I've grown to hate the 8/32 nuts used on other chassis--they bind and FUBAR too easily.

And when I've got to be especially price conscious, I get the prepunched Weber 6mX for $30. EDIT: CRAP! They finally phased it out. I knew that was too good to last.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

xtian wrote:Yup, I've used lots of Watts chassis, and I like them a lot. His have 1/4" nuts. Now I've grown to hate the 8/32 nuts used on other chassis--they bind and FUBAR too easily.
I used a Watts chassis. It seems very nice.

The 1/4 nuts are nice, but finding a black decorative washer that size is tough. Also, the holes are slightly less than 4-1/2 inches apart, so I don't think 4-5/8ths black chassis straps will work either.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

You can get black nylon counter sunk washers in 1/4" if that will work.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#95481a035/=w8k6y8
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Thanks! I have found some nylon washers online. I don't know what they look like or how durable they are, so I haven't pursued them.

have you used them?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have used some black nylon countersunk washers before but they were #10 and no problems to date.

I was ordering at the same time I was posting so I have 100 1/4" coming and can send you a set (4) to try out when I get them.
Rick

Post by Rick »

JMFahey wrote:Those seaside chassis are incredibly inexpensive.

Who can work for at least an hour for cutting/bending/drilling/bolting or screwing plus aluminum sheet cost plus tool amortization for $41?

That guy risks more and earns less than working at local Mc D :shock:

Only way to be justified is that he makes, say, 20 chassis in a workday (in series, not one off) and sells them all; otherwise.

Believe me, I make my own, have all the machinery, and know cost and time.

And it's worth for my own amps, would never sell bare or punched chassis for such low prices.
I understand it completely. I did the cutouts, measuring, marking and brake operation to hand build hundreds of chassis for a few years and while I got it down to a pretty fine art, I would never do it to make a living. It would take me about a half an hour to make a nice, unpunched chassis start to finish if I didn't dawdle. For a punched out one, forget it, I often spent most of a day getting it all laid out and cut out.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

M Fowler wrote:I have used some black nylon countersunk washers before but they were #10 and no problems to date.

I was ordering at the same time I was posting so I have 100 1/4" coming and can send you a set (4) to try out when I get them.
Na, I appreciate it, though. I'll just order a bag and see. If they look good and function good, they'll be fine. Although I'm a little bummed I didn't get to use the chassis straps.

For the life of me, I can't find how many are in a pack on the McMaster-Carr site. How many are in a bag? Is that were you ordered yours?