bright switch to Airbrake? Update:Tone POT?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jamme61

bright switch to Airbrake? Update:Tone POT?

Post by jamme61 »

I like to add a bright switch like the ones found on other attenuators (HP weber-rivera) is it possible to do on the airbrake? would changing the value of the .1 cap do it? thanks

Update: it seems I have to go with cap values no higher then 5uf - 1 to 2 uf sound best for the full range attenuation IMHO. I think this is a great feature to have on the AB don't no why there's no posts about it? the lager value caps let to much through increase the overall volume instead of just adding
some highs. Im going to add a toggle with off 1uf and 2 uf that sounds about right for me. If anyone is reading this I think its worth while to try this out. any thoughts about this pleas post it. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jamme61 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LOUDthud

Re: bright switch to Airbrake? Update:Tone POT?

Post by LOUDthud »

I think you are going to need something in the 10 to 20uF range. Shop for a non-polarized electrolytic typically used in crossover networks. It might be wise to install an 8 ohm 5W resistor in series with the cap so it won't damage the pot at low volumes.
jamme61

Post by jamme61 »

LOUDthud wrote:I think you are going to need something in the 10 to 20uF range. Shop for a non-polarized electrolytic typically used in crossover networks. It might be wise to install an 8 ohm 5W resistor in series with the cap so it won't damage the pot at low volumes.
Thanks- how high a voltage for the cap?
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

50 or 100V should be enough.
jamme61

Post by jamme61 »

Yea just 2 uf to 5uf with 5 watt 8 ohm inline
Last edited by jamme61 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
jamme61

Post by jamme61 »

what about adding a tone pot? why they don't put one on all the attenuators?
d95err

Post by d95err »

jamme61 wrote:what about adding a tone pot? why they don't put one on all the attenuators?
Because the tone pot would have to be able to handle (almost) as much power as the whole attenuator.

The Weber MASS Lite attenuators actually has this (labled Mids-Highs). It is a 50W pot for the 50W version.
jamme61

Post by jamme61 »

d95err wrote:
jamme61 wrote:what about adding a tone pot? why they don't put one on all the attenuators?
Because the tone pot would have to be able to handle (almost) as much power as the whole attenuator.

The Weber MASS Lite attenuators actually has this (labled Mids-Highs). It is a 50W pot for the 50W version.
Thanks for the info