Hammond AO-35 due tomorrow!

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Teleguy61

Re: Hammond AO-35 due tomorrow!

Post by Teleguy61 »

vibratoking wrote:what just happened?
I dunno.
Something flew through here real quick like.
premiumplus

Post by premiumplus »

Got the holes drilled for the front panel, mounted the fuse holder, switch, and power light.
The tone control is wired, and now I've gotta do the PI and install the PPIVMV...by this time tomorrow I should have an operational amp.
Making the world a better place...one amp at a time!
premiumplus

YEAH, BABY...My AO-35 conversion is rockin' the house!

Post by premiumplus »

ALL RIGHT!!! She's up and running. What a great sounding amp, and I give credit to Dr. Z, he was BRILLIANT in his implementation of the Twin T type tone control. He didn't load the circuit down with a big TMB type tone stack, he kept it real simple and retained the signal's integrity. A few other changes in the amp, and you have a terrific amp. That is, if the "Phoenix" schematic is an accurate representation of it. Thanks, Dr. Z...
I like the platform so much that I've got another AO-35 inbound for further work. Thanks for the help, guys. I love great tube sound...here are some gut shots of my effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

vibratoking wrote:what just happened?
Amp novella.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Congrats on building your amps looks good.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

I just picked up one of these chassis. It hums a lot so I think it is going to need an electrolytic recap job first. I'm going to do the Ghia conversion.

Premiumplus, M Fowler,

You guys did a nice job converting your amps. Before I start drilling holes, did you guys get any hum issues with mounting your pots so close to the high voltage OT wires?

Cheers
Chappy
premiumplus

Post by premiumplus »

I had no issues with hum. I did use shielded cable to run my input signal from the jack to the input stage, and for my PPIMV. Only connect one side of the shield to ground, at the control or input. Leave the shield open at the tube.
It is a great sounding amp. Z did a fine job optimizing the circuit for guitar. The tone control network is really cool.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Wow, that was a lightning fast reply. Thanks for the info. I'm not going to use the PPIMV initially, but the rest of my layout will look similar to yours. I am going to put the fuse up front though. As well, I will rewire the ground circuitry with two star ground points.

Chappy