Hum topic again

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gahult

Hum topic again

Post by gahult »

Rocket is done but it brings up a question in regards to hum on builds some with more some with less.

The amp is dead quite very little noticeable hum or hiss even with vol. maxed.

When I plug in the guitar the hum is at an unacceptable level.

Any preamp (V1-V3) pulled and no hum guitar plugged in or not.

Am open to any thoughts on this. I know it's been covered many times but searches bring up to many topics to wade thru.

Gary
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird , and they take Prozac to make it normal.
martin manning

Re: Hum topic again

Post by martin manning »

If it's quiet with nothing plugged in, it's very unlikely that the amp is the source of the hum, but plug a cable in and measure the resistance from the tip to ground. You should see the 1Meg input grid resistor. Single-coil pickups will always hum in the presence of stray 60 Hz EMF, of course. Poor grounding in the guitar wiring can produce hum, and I suppose the cable could be at fault too.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Do you have florescent lights and/or are you using single coil pickups?

Do you have a cell phone? Is it in your pocket near the guitar pickups?
gahult

Post by gahult »

No cell phone, no florescent lights.

Humbuckers on LP Electra, single coils on two different SX guitars.

See 1M on cable tip.

Gary
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird , and they take Prozac to make it normal.
davidjon_99

Post by davidjon_99 »

gahult wrote:No cell phone, no florescent lights.

Humbuckers on LP Electra, single coils on two different SX guitars.

See 1M on cable tip.

Gary
You've probably done this, but have you tried different instrument cables?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Gary I had to start isolating the input jacks or use Cliff jacks on my Trainwreck builds to get rid of that hum.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

To test out a givin Amps hum and hiss level I have a 1/4" Jack that I have shorted out and into the input Jack it goes then open up the amp full on, any added noise is the amp only, you can do the same thing with plugging in the axe and turning its volume(s) down and this will show up if a cord is poorly sheilded and or what the short lengh of wire from its input Jack to the volume pot is adding to the noise level.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

^^^^^ If it makes it there it makes it anywhere.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

possibly just had a similar problem, with the guitar plugged in and turned all the way down is the hum gone? if it is the its coming in through the guitar so start turning off all lights and wall sockets possibly even at the fuse board to see if you can make it better.

my problem was a pedal power supply that went bad and was plugged into the same socket, I had no hum amp worked fine, I added an effects loop then all of a sudden hum, so ended up removing the effects loop, then rewiring the whole pre-amp , pulled half my hair out, then I tried the guitar source as above, gutted I did not try that sooner
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I have has issues with two prong wall wart type power supply's in regards to hum and I have had to plug them into one of my old ground lift adapters that have both blades that same small size so you can spin it around!
These days with the new ground lifts I have to notch and grind back the fatter blade so it can be plugged in the other way.
If you have a lot of external things plugged in then it's best to plug them all into a power strip that has a ground lift on its end and then if you still have a hum issue that will not fall inline put on sperate adapters and pivot those around to releave the issue which is in situations like this a ground loop.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!