JJ EL34 II Review

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

JJ EL34 II Review

Post by Littlewyan »

I just bought these valves for my TW Express as I wasn't very happy with the tone I was getting from the TAD EL34B-STRs and I thought I would do a review for everyone.

As soon as I started playing I immediately noticed a big increase in clarity and aggression in the mid range. At last I have got the note separation when playing my Express that everyone talks about. They crunch really nicely, have good high end that isn't at all harsh and they still clean up really well. The bass is very tight and everything is held together really well, especially when playing big open chords.

Surprisingly compared to the TAD EL34B-STR valves I had to increase the bias voltage (currently at -36.7V, was at -34V). Normally I have to decrease the voltage when putting other EL34 valves into this amp. Anyway after a bit of testing cold vs hot bias I found they had the best crunch and clarity when set at 60% dissipation. Amazingly I could hear a difference between biasing at 34mA vs 37mA. This will obviously change from amp to amp though.

Hopefully this will help someone who is thinking about buying these valves as I have only found one other thread on another forum where these valves are talked about. JJ have obviously put a lot of thought into this new design and it pleases me greatly that manufacturers are still trying to better our beloved valves.
joeboo88

Re: JJ EL34 II Review

Post by joeboo88 »

Thanks for the info Ryan. I was also thinking of getting JJ's .
Right now I have burgera stamped El34's that I bought used from a guy I know for 10 bucks. They sound fine but would be nice to try something else,and I can buy the JJ's here at a music store.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Good news, thanks for the review.
Where and when did you get them (eg Watford Valves)?
Just in case it's a batch sensitive thing!
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I bought these from Karltone. I use him for all of my valves.

The other good thing about these valves is the price, £28.50 for a pair from Karl. Great value.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If you crank them out all the time then the Groovetubes version (E34L ) is even a better tube in terms of life as they have them built with added mass to the plate structure and are up rated to 35 watts from the stock 30!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Tone Lover

Post by Tone Lover »

Im really looking forward to trying these out . also the electro harmonix 6ca7 are supposed to be real good for the TW circuit also.
Bill
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bill, I have a pair of EH 6CA7s in my Express and they are very good.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I am fine with the 6ca7s. I hope they continue making it the same. They are comparable with the GEs, and maybe I prefer them over xf4 in Marshalls. Yes. I might.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Correction, they are rated at 30 watts, up from the stock 25!
You probibly like 6CA7s better due to them being a beam type tube then I would say!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

They squat but don't mush out when you hammer them. Wide band breakup. Badass. Harmonics are very good.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Confirmed for EH 6CA7 being very nice. I use them in my Asteroid build after comparison to 5-6 other pairs of various EL34, KT77 and KT66. Best of all soundwise.
Niki
renshen1957

Post by renshen1957 »

Littlewyan wrote:I just bought these valves for my TW Express as I wasn't very happy with the tone I was getting from the TAD EL34B-STRs and I thought I would do a review for everyone.

As soon as I started playing I immediately noticed a big increase in clarity and aggression in the mid range. At last I have got the note separation when playing my Express that everyone talks about. They crunch really nicely, have good high end that isn't at all harsh and they still clean up really well. The bass is very tight and everything is held together really well, especially when playing big open chords.

Surprisingly compared to the TAD EL34B-STR valves I had to increase the bias voltage (currently at -36.7V, was at -34V). Normally I have to decrease the voltage when putting other EL34 valves into this amp. Anyway after a bit of testing cold vs hot bias I found they had the best crunch and clarity when set at 60% dissipation. Amazingly I could hear a difference between biasing at 34mA vs 37mA. This will obviously change from amp to amp though.

Hopefully this will help someone who is thinking about buying these valves as I have only found one other thread on another forum where these valves are talked about. JJ have obviously put a lot of thought into this new design and it pleases me greatly that manufacturers are still trying to better our beloved valves.
Hi,

Thanks for taking one for the Team,

Best regards,

Steve
Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is named Steve
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Haha no worries Steve! I've never experimented with different power valve brands before. Wish I had sooner!
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

I've only heard of these from this thread. The plate looks small. Is this a lower powered EL-34? (I could see a niche for that)
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Nope. Same spec as the standard EL34. Just a different construction.