Koa spears resistors

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

menger66

Koa spears resistors

Post by menger66 »

Anyone using these for plate resistor they seem kinda small tho ive seen much smaller 1/2watt resistors. The 8.2k is a nte 1/2 watter. For a size reference hate ordering resistors
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dcribbs1412

Re: Koa spears resistors

Post by dcribbs1412 »

There some talk of this here:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... rs&start=0
I have used them here and there in small areas...FET PAB
just cant bring myself to use them on plates
the 2 watt green ones are a more comfortable size :)

D
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

I use those exclusively now where I deem appropriate. FWIW, I have used them as plate load resistors, but typically I prefer 1w or 2w. They have very nice thick leads.

My .02uf
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Blackburn wrote:I use those exclusively now where I deem appropriate. FWIW, I have used them as plate load resistors, but typically I prefer 1w or 2w. They have very nice thick leads.

My .02uf
Yes, the 1 Watt MF1 series is a nice resistor with a body a little longer than 0.6 inch IIRC.
menger66

Post by menger66 »

Who sells the cf1 series1 1watt they are koa?
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

+1 on the green KOA Speers, 2 or 3 watt.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

TUBEDUDE wrote:+1 on the green KOA Speers, 2 or 3 watt.
Unfortunately Mouser only has very limited values of them. About six months ago I looked around and couldn't find them anywhere else for a reasonable ptice either...
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

FWIW I've used their half watt 1M as input load R's, perfectly safe there. And the 100K ½W does make a cheap, quiet plate load R.
down technical blind alleys . . .
David Root

Post by David Root »

+1 on the KOA Speers "greenies". I had to buy some from Mouser, relatively cheap, and the other values that Mouser doesn't carry, from Parts Connexion, not so cheap.

MIJ, so good quality.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

If anyone wants some, I have some 100k's of the green 2W variety on the Bay at a pretty good price, with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172172346370?ss ... 1555.l2649
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello, I like to have the guys that are building a lot of amps weed out what does or doesn't work. It looks like Brandon has no problem using the Koa 1/2 as plate loads. I did read a post from awhile back and I think it was Andy Fuchs stating that he had issues with the Koa 2w as plate loads. Maybe that was a bad batch. If you don't mind spending a bit the Takman Carbon films are very nice. The body is nice and big, thick leads, and they have a nice clear but not harsh sound.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rp

Post by rp »

Charlie Wilson wrote:If you don't mind spending a bit the Takman Carbon films are very nice. The body is nice and big, thick leads, and they have a nice clear but not harsh sound.
Is this the 1/2W or 1W with the nice leads and body?
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

RP I used some 1W Takman for the PI plates on my ODS.
CW
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Charlie Wilson wrote:Hello, I like to have the guys that are building a lot of amps weed out what does or doesn't work. It looks like Brandon has no problem using the Koa 1/2 as plate loads. I did read a post from awhile back and I think it was Andy Fuchs stating that he had issues with the Koa 2w as plate loads. Maybe that was a bad batch. If you don't mind spending a bit the Takman Carbon films are very nice. The body is nice and big, thick leads, and they have a nice clear but not harsh sound.
CW
We still (close to ten years later) see the occasional repair where an amp or a channel went silent due to these resistors as plate loads. An Engineer friend of mine looked at the spec sheet and the part and simply said" no way". Ted is old school and he simply said this is suspicious and too good to be true. He was right. Unless it's changed the RN series military resistors are awesome but were not RoHs last time I looked. I may do a run of PRP custom plate loads (gotta buy 1 K minimum), as they are awesome.

FWFW: These were used within voltage and wattage ratings but at last could about 50 amps globally were effected. Sad thing is they sounded good, quiet too, small footprint which helps board designs, but the failures were a scary experience for a small manufacturer to weather.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
rp

Post by rp »

carbon comps won WW2, we haven't won anything since - coincidence :wink: