How do I sell this.....

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

How do I sell this.....

Post by Littlewyan »

I have a Pignose G40V Combo that I originally modified to be a 10W JCM800. Cut long story short it didn't really work, it oscillated like mad and sounded terrible. So I rebuilt the JCM800 into a new chassis and head cab. Now I'm left with this combo amp that has no PT, a £45 Celestion speaker in it, some additional wood to make the cab sound better and a modified PCB. How do I sell this thing?????

I was thinking perhaps sell the speaker separately and sell the rest off as a project? I don't really want to mess around returning it to stock as the PCBs are awful.
Phil_S

Re: How do I sell this.....

Post by Phil_S »

eBay is your friend for this sort of thing. Can't say what you'd get for it. Probably not much. I'd agree that selling the speaker separately is probably the thing to do. Remember, for the "project box" to be very, very, very clear about it being a project to discourage the cranky bidders. If I were a betting man, I'd say you'll be surprised at the price you get for each lot. Not gonna say whether that means you'll get more than expected ;-}

Just make sure you clear enough from the sale to pay for shipping and your eBay fee.

It doesn't feel good to end up underwater. A while back, I sold something for $1 (didn't care about that) but then found out my fixed fee shipping was wrong and I forgot that eBay levies it's fee on the total, including shipping. I think I paid $2 to get rid of the thing. This is only a funny story because $2 isn't exactly my idea of getting hurt. It is, however, also a cautionary tale.

Good luck!
deeder

Post by deeder »

I would say Reverb.com is you best friend for this kind of stuff.
Hey Phil I apologise!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Oh, don't apologize! I didn't know there was a better friend! Thanks for sharing.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

In that case, I'll find a box suitable for a speaker.

I know how you feel about losing out on that. I actually sold the original speaker I took out of this amp for £10 and only charged £2.85 for shipping. Turns out it weighed too much for the shipping I chose and I actually had to pay £12 to ship it. Never mind though, lesson learnt!

Ill take a look at Reverb.com, I've seen it mentioned but never really looked at it.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

IMO, you did better than I did. You still had 85p toward your eBay bill! And what you sold found a new home rather than going to the dump.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Thats how I justify selling my stuff. Doesn't matter if I barely make any money on it, at least it has a new home. I spent 2 months trying to sell an old car door handle because of this. It had a scratch on it but still worked so I couldn't throw it away. Such a curse!
DaveMon

Post by DaveMon »

I would strive to sell it locally.....and avoid eBay and shipping altogether......musicians love projects that are cheap.......which is why I own two broken solid state bass amps and a beat up bass cab.........I'm a guitar player........
rp

Post by rp »

Scrounge your parts box and build a 5F1 or 5E3 into it for max outlay of $150, then give it to a friend you owe $300 to.