What size of Greenlee punch should I use for octal sockets?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dehughes

Re: What size of Greenlee punch should I use for octal sockets?

Post by dehughes »

Yeah, see, I'd be using a hand drill with a Unibit/stepbit. If I had a press, then I'd try them out....but instead, I'll just spring for the Greenlee punch. .005" is pretty small, huh. :) I'll see how it works...but I have a file here just in case. I'll go get the punch tomorrow from Home Depot.
Tempus edax rerum
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

Well, I borrowed a friend's father's Harbor Freight punch, and it worked wonderfully! I'm sold on punches....so easy, and very clean. I can only imagine that a Greenlee would be even nicer. Thanks to you all for your help and advice!
Tempus edax rerum
mchauck

Post by mchauck »

The ease of using a step drill makes the choice of tool simple for me. I have had a set of step drills for two years now and have drilled alum and steel chassis with them. I can finish a chassis in about 15 minutes. that includes pot holes, light, cans, wire drops, inputs, etc. Wouldn't be without one. Like said earlier, the rough bottom side is just a short blast away from a nice finished edge. My tool goes all the way down to 1/8' on the smallest bit and I use it for screw holes as well. If you try one, you won't go back and it can be used on many other hobby needs holes as well. Great for counter sinking screw holes.

Brian
v846

Post by v846 »

Brian,

What brand and p/n of step drill do you use? Also in the market...

thanks

David
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

mchauck wrote:The ease of using a step drill makes the choice of tool simple for me. I have had a set of step drills for two years now and have drilled alum and steel chassis with them. I can finish a chassis in about 15 minutes. that includes pot holes, light, cans, wire drops, inputs, etc. Wouldn't be without one. Like said earlier, the rough bottom side is just a short blast away from a nice finished edge. My tool goes all the way down to 1/8' on the smallest bit and I use it for screw holes as well. If you try one, you won't go back and it can be used on many other hobby needs holes as well. Great for counter sinking screw holes.

Brian
You know....that's true.....a step bit would be handy if one were doing all the holes on a blank chassis... I've been fortunate enough to have chassis that are 95% to my needs, so I've yet to do all that work. Still though, it would be nice to start with a blank chassis and do it all yourself.
Tempus edax rerum
kec

Post by kec »

mchauck wrote:The ease of using a step drill makes the choice of tool simple for me. I have had a set of step drills for two years now and have drilled alum and steel chassis with them. I can finish a chassis in about 15 minutes. that includes pot holes, light, cans, wire drops, inputs, etc. Wouldn't be without one. Like said earlier, the rough bottom side is just a short blast away from a nice finished edge. My tool goes all the way down to 1/8' on the smallest bit and I use it for screw holes as well. If you try one, you won't go back and it can be used on many other hobby needs holes as well. Great for counter sinking screw holes.

Brian
+1
Ken

Real guitars are for old people! - Cartman
mchauck

Post by mchauck »

v846 wrote:What brand and p/n of step drill do you use? Also in the market...
Well at the risk of being a laughing stock, I got mine at Costco. I got four in the set...here is a pix.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

+1 on the step drills just as Brian shows!
In fact, I even use the same sharpie marker colors to mark the desired stopping location :lol:
Dave O.
v846

Post by v846 »

Brian,

Thanks for the pictures, sharpie marker is a good idea. Are those 1/2" shanks on those and do you use a press or hand drill?

David
mchauck

Post by mchauck »

They can be chucked up in a press, however, I have been at drillin for a long time now and prefer to just do it by hand. I believe these steppers are 3/8" drive. I do use the press for drilling holes in headstocks for tuners and other guitar building stuff. I use it also for staking turrets. But these holes are so easy I usually just drill them.

BH
v846

Post by v846 »

Those should work just fine, I forgot that my Makita hand drill is 1/2" so no problems :D

thanks again

db
Rick

Post by Rick »

I use step bits for all chassis holes all the time. I don't even own a hole punch. Step bits work so well, I never gave the punches a second thought.
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

mchauck wrote:
v846 wrote:What brand and p/n of step drill do you use? Also in the market...
Well at the risk of being a laughing stock, I got mine at Costco. I got four in the set...here is a pix.......
Are those single fluted or double fluted?

I wish Sam's Club had them...I gave up on Cost Co a few years ago because there are none close to where I live. Though I liked what they carry in general.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
mchauck

Post by mchauck »

These are single fluted cutters. I believe if you spent much more than I did for these, you could get double fluted cutters. I think these wouold perform longer and would tend to cut more true to center. Otherwise, these have really been great. I know China Harbor carries them too but I don't know about the quality. I have never been a believer in their cutting goods.

BH
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

mchauck wrote:These are single fluted cutters. I believe if you spent much more than I did for these, you could get double fluted cutters. I think these wouold perform longer and would tend to cut more true to center. Otherwise, these have really been great. I know China Harbor carries them too but I don't know about the quality. I have never been a believer in their cutting goods.

BH
I guess I'll just stick with the double fluted one mentioned earlier in this thread. There is a shop selling them on eBay for something like $24 with $10 shipping. It's the best price I've found so far for a bit that will do 1/8th to 1.5" (I think that's what it covers at least...)
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None