Cut control with a cathodyne PI?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cbass

Cut control with a cathodyne PI?

Post by cbass »

Can an ac30 Style cut Control or something similar be implemented on something like a Princeton reverb?
sluckey

Re: Cut control with a cathodyne PI?

Post by sluckey »

yes
cbass

Post by cbass »

Thanks I couldn't see why it wouldn't but I figured I'd ask before I tried it.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I wired up the cut control. While I can here some treble cut it's not a lot. Gonna try reducing the nfb and see if that helps
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

If you want to hear more treble cut, then increase the cap in the cut control
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
cbass

Post by cbass »

thanks i thought i remembered reading that thw cut control worked bettet w/o nfb but it didnt seem to make much difference. I increased the cap to .0082 it definitely made a difference but i dont think its what im lookibf for on this amp
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Look at the 5F2 or 5F2A. I think tone knob is a cut control.
gingertube

Post by gingertube »

With a post phase inverter cut control the feedback will act to oppose that cut by increasing its output at the cut frequencies. You may well end up with problems in the phase inverter as it runs out of output voltage swing.
Particularly with a cathodyne phase splitter.
Not sure if it has ever been suggested before but what I would try is to put a pot and a cap series connected across the feedback resistor, the pot would want to be X10 the feedback resistor value.
That way you increase the feedback at high frequencies as the pot resistance decreases, giving you the cut you want - an Anti-presence control if you like.

You could then "tune" the maximum cut with a small fixed resistor in series with the pot cap combination

Cheers,
Ian
gingertube

Post by gingertube »

gingertube wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:07 pm With a post phase inverter cut control the feedback will act to oppose that cut by increasing its output at the cut frequencies. You may well end up with problems in the phase inverter as it runs out of output voltage swing.
Not sure if it has ever been suggested before, but what I would try is to put a pot and a cap series connected across the feedback resistor, the pot would want to be X10 the feedback resistor value.
That way you increase the feedback at high frequencies as the pot resistance decreases, giving you the cut you want - an Anti-presence control if you like.

You could then "tune" the maximum cut with a small fixed resistor in series with the pot cap combination

Cheers,
Ian
Oops - meant to edit post to correct spelling not quote myself - where is the delete post option under edit?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

gingertube wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 pm
gingertube wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:07 pm With a post phase inverter cut control the feedback will act to oppose that cut by increasing its output at the cut frequencies. You may well end up with problems in the phase inverter as it runs out of output voltage swing.
Not sure if it has ever been suggested before, but what I would try is to put a pot and a cap series connected across the feedback resistor, the pot would want to be X10 the feedback resistor value.

Cheers,
Ian

Oops - meant to edit post to correct spelling not quote myself - where is the delete post option under edit?

lol it's like seeing yourself in a mirror, in a mirror... in a mirror.. in a mirror. #sideways8
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

gingertube wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Cheers,
Ian
I think users can't delete posts, only mods can, if you want I can delete this for you. I'll delete mine too, as I'm just checking if you care.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
cbass

Post by cbass »

Not sure if it has ever been suggested before but what I would try is to put a pot and a cap series connected across the feedback resistor, the pot would want to be X10 the feedback resistor value.

Cheers,
Ian
Thanks Ian. I thought i remembered reading something likethat. I ended up getting ehere i wanted by putting a cap across the plate resistor before the PI